QCTBDC: Something Different

Just build a cannon and want to show it off? Post it in here.

Postby An Apple Pie » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:40 pm

Or maybe the lathed union, the pipe that houses it with the o-rings and grooves too. That way somebody with no lathe could create one of these.

That is a truly ingenious way of sealing it Sgort.

P.S. Check your email Gort.
An Apple Pie

Postby spuzi14 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:02 pm

Ohh crap! That's amazing!!

I find this actually inspiring, I'd like to go create something right now. Anyway, very nice Gort...I'm extremely impressed.

I skipped a few replies so I don't know if anybody has nominated this; but I'd nominate this for a class in the cannon competition. Probably a unique class or whatever it's called, I haven't been in that thread for a while.
spuzi14

Postby tim jones » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:29 pm

How do you seal the 1-1/2" plug where the cylinder rod penetrates?
tim jones

Postby aturner » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:30 am

Wow! That is creative! We all have a variety of ideas for innovative projects, and I'm sure you know they fail most of the time. So let me congratulate you on bringing this neat idea to a working model. I look forward to seeing the results once you begin launching things with this valve.
aturner

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby LukeSkyRocket » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:23 pm

Could that method of making a seal work for other materials besides alum cans, so that you could incorporate that nifty "burst disk breach" into a traditional hybrid?
LukeSkyRocket

Postby SkweezMyCheez » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:08 pm

TRUE innovation. absolutely love it Gort.
SkweezMyCheez

Postby MX_ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:18 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LukeSkyRocket
[br]Could that method of making a seal work for other materials besides alum cans, so that you could incorporate that nifty "burst disk breach" into a traditional hybrid?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well in a hybrid, the combustion inside the chamber is what breaks the burst disk, so there's no need for the broadhead.
MX_

Postby userjjb » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:51 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by MX_
Well in a hybrid, the combustion inside the chamber is what breaks the burst disk, so there's no need for the broadhead.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I think the idea he's getting at is to just use the simpler mechanism for loading burst disks as opposed to having to unscrew the union, reload, etc. However, I'd be highly wary of using such a non-standard type setup for a hybrid that depends upon pressure rated components, especially considering that most reach pressures several times that of the run-of-the-mill pneumatic.
userjjb

Postby sgort87 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:33 am

I will be experimenting with the idea of using the quick-changer on a hybrid. The problem is just that this one is made from a 1.5" union and I'd prefer a 2". I'll have to make another one. Fun!
sgort87

Previous

Return to Finished Cannons