need new gun design ideas

This area is for the discussion of BB or airsoft sub machine guns, and or other small arms such as pellets. No home made BB or airsoft guns should ever be used in a match where you shoot other people... they are too powerful.

Postby fidgety » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:26 pm

I sadly am currently out of ideas as to what to build. All of the designs on the forum I have either already created or, have a skill level higher than mine. I realize that you will say be creative but all the designs I have come up with are unfeasable so I humbly ask for ideas.

thankyou,
fidgety
fidgety

Postby kozak6 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:23 pm

Build one of these:
http://www.swanstrom.net/petes/shoot/autobb.htm

Build a copy of an old school airsoft BV valve.
kozak6

Postby spuzi14 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:55 pm

That thing looks pretty cool. I say build it.

Here's an idea...make a HUGE setup that takes five or so minutes to complete and when it ends, a small gun fires. Much like Mousetrap or a Rube Goldberg (I think that's it) setup...it's a domino effect with an event at the end.
spuzi14

Postby fullmetaljacket » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:35 pm

A launcher is simply a means to an end. First you have to define what exactly it is you want to acheive, before attempting to find a way of doing it.

To build a launcher with a 1,000 yard range when you only have 5,00 yards to shoot of for example would be a complete waste of resources.
fullmetaljacket

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby SPG » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:00 am

FMJ, you're such a wise man, grasshopper.
SPG

Postby fullmetaljacket » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:04 am

Ah yes, who thought such a boyish hobby could be so deeply philosophical. Machiavelli´s got nothing on me :D
fullmetaljacket

Postby fidgety » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:38 am

actually I was kinda hoping for really cool guns that the more advanced spudders like mr.plow and dr made in their earlier years. i'm not really looking for new firing ideas but new designs
fidgety

Postby fullmetaljacket » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:10 pm

browse through the archives, there's countless designs out there with potential that were never built.
fullmetaljacket

Postby BewareOfDog » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:33 am

fidgety,
I read your post and am happy to say that I am thoroughly pleased with your line of thought!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest to you something truly unique: I would like to see you design and fabricate a launcher... that propels <b>itself</b>!

I've been entertaining this idea for quite a few weeks now, but haven't had the time to actually start it. What would you think of a compressed air/water driven <b>dragster</b>, that propels itself much in the same way that a pop-bottle rocket does... but <b>horizontally</b>, instead of vertically?

Roller blade/Scooter wheels, with ABEC-5 bearings, on a custom-made chassis, or even something strapped to a damn skateboard, it's all the same to me.

<a href="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/398596/drgster10.JPG">Concept 1</a>

Instead of water/air, how about a simple combustion launcher, mounted on a wheeled platform, that is backed up onto a fixed launch-pad?

<a href="http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-9/398596/dragster11.JPG">Concept 2</a>
BewareOfDog

Postby An Apple Pie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:53 pm

I have been thinking of a new design for a kind of jumper thingy. It would consist of air being used to push a very long piston down and the piston would hit the ground and propel the "launcher" upwards.

I was thinking of having the chamber on the top that then has a valve and would the go into a series of tees so it would have four "legs" coming out. Have them coming straight down after that to essentially make these legs into a tripod, but with four legs coming straight down instead of at an angle. Use something as a piston so that it is about the length of each leg, which act as the barrels. So when it is fired the air comes out of the chamber, through the valve, into each of the barrels, and pushes the pistons out, and in turn propell the launcher up.

The only problems I see are the launvher and valve being to heavy, and the launcher cracking upon impact. So a soft surface is a must. Also you would probably need to a an electric actuated sprinkler valve, so the launcher only has to carry the weight of two wires insted of hose.

Good luck on whatever you decide to build.
An Apple Pie

Next

Return to BB/Airsoft/Pellet Guns