Using Quick Release Fittings With Propane

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby pongkicksass05 » Thu May 04, 2006 3:47 pm

I currently have a few combustion based spudguns that I have built and all of them use right guard as their fuel. I am interested in upgrading one of my current spudguns to a propane injected system. I am considering using a female quick release fitting, designed for compressed air, mounted through one of my PVC fittings on the chamber. My propane system would run a hose from the tank to a metal valve(one end of the metering system) that would connect to the metering pipe and that would connect to another valve(other end of the metering system) and directly after the valve i would put a male quick release fitting. To fire i would load the spud, connect the male and female fittings, fill the chamber with the correct amount, close both valves, disconnet the quick release fittings, and fire. I would like to do this is because of the fact that all I have are the large propane tanks, and weight is important for this particular gun(due to its size, purpose, and design). So my question is, Is this safe/smart to do? If not, does anyone have any other ideas for me?
pongkicksass05

Postby BewareOfDog » Thu May 04, 2006 4:06 pm

Having a detachable propane metering pipe is both a safe, and smart thing to do. All of my metered-propane combustion launchers use this setup.

Plumbing the Female Quick Disconnect directly into the chamber will eliminate the need for an extra ball valve. Using either a modified propane torch head, or a propane tank-1/4" NPT adapter will allow you to hook the pipe directly to the propane bottle.

A word of advice:
By the time you hunt down and pay for all of the separate components, it will have saved you time and money to just buy one of these setups directly from this site.;)

Edit: <a href="http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=42">SGTC Propane Metering Device</a>
BewareOfDog

Postby Razer88 » Thu May 04, 2006 8:02 pm

Yup the Whole Quick Release thing would be really nice, i Unscrew and srew my Propane tank on and off my Torch Valve every time i shot just for Safety, Tonight i also Addes a PSI gauge in my metter pipe and i love it, you can Tell how many PSI are in it and you get ALOT more Consistint shots, i would Sugest one. but if you buy one from the site your all good, but if you make one put one in it,
Razer88

Postby andeh » Thu May 04, 2006 8:42 pm

You could also use a schrader valve on the chamber and a air chuck on the meter. Unless you have quick disconnect fittings with valves on the female and the male ends that's probably easier, as it eliminates the need for a ball valve.
andeh

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby pongkicksass05 » Fri May 05, 2006 3:39 pm

Between me and my dad I have all the parts, fittings, and tools needed to put it together, thread the piping, PVC, etc. What I can't seem to find is the time..

DR: How does having a male quick release eliminate the need for the second ball valve? I either don't completely understand the step-by-step procedures for firing from propane, or we are thinking of two completely different ideas.
On a standard propane set-up: If I understand correctly, the regulator attaches to the tank, a hose runs to the first valve, attaches to the meter pipe, then another valve, and then the chamber. Is the meter pipe designed to hold the exact amount of propane that the chamber needs. If not, what purpose does it serve?

Would the firing procedure go as follows:
1. load spud
2. open tank valve
3. open regulator
4. open first(close to tank) valve
5. close first valve
6. open second(close to chamber) valve
7. close second valve
8. fire
?
Or am I mistaken?

On mine I am thinking :
Follow steps 1 through 7
8. disconnect quick connect fittings

All the male quick conectors I own are completely open ended. There is no way for them to hold pressure. Do I need a male connector that can hold pressure behind a ball valve inside of it? Without the second valve, if I opened the first valve, the propane would flow into the tank at a rate set by the regulator, but the volume would be a guess, thus being unsafe.

Thanks for the time and thoughts.
pongkicksass05

Postby Razer88 » Fri May 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Take a look at this one http://www.spudtech.com/detail.asp?id=42

ok Hook propane tank up.
turn tank on, Open First Valve. *with 2nd valve turned OFF*
wait a few sec. Then, Close the First Vavle.
Shut the Tanks off (for safty)
Open the 2nd Vavle what will put the mettered Propane in Chamber.
Close 2nd Valve.
then Fire.

Edit: with making it a Quick Release you Dont Need a 2nd Vavle Becuse the Quick Coupler takes Spot of the Vavle. and when you Hook up it the Chamber you would Fill it. With Quick Coupler it would go

Put tank on Regulator, turn tank on
Turn 1st Vavle on
Shut Vavle off when metter pipe is full.
shut tank off
Hook Up Quick Coupler, *fills Chamber*
Un hook Quick Coupler
Fire
Razer88

Postby pongkicksass05 » Sat May 06, 2006 9:17 am

Razer, Are you saying that there would be no hosing? From what you're saying, in my head I see a set up that looks like:
Propane Tank--Regulator--Meter Pipe--Valve--Male Quick Release.
I see how that would work. I would open the tank, open the regulator, wait a few seconds, close the tank, close the regulator, connect the quick release fittings, open the one and only valve, close the valve, disconnect the quick release, and fire.

"with making it a Quick Release you Dont Need a 2nd Vavle Becuse the Quick Coupler takes Spot of the Vavle. and when you Hook up it the Chamber you would Fill it. With Quick Coupler it would go..."-Razer88
(sorry for the lack of correct quoting, forgive me I'm a newb at forums)

The link below shows the quick release set up I have.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

Neither of the male fittings hold pressure, they're basically a tube, so wouldn't I need a valve right behind it at least?
Razer, instead of a fring sequence could you possibly describe how it is setup?
DR: If you get the chance, can you post a picture of one of your setups?
pongkicksass05

Postby Razer88 » Sat May 06, 2006 10:46 am

Propanetank---Regulator----Hose----BallValve---Metterpipe----Quick Coupler.
Razer88

Postby pongkicksass05 » Sat May 06, 2006 11:09 am

But the seond you open the ball valve, the propane will start leaving through the male quick coupler on the end of the pipe.
pongkicksass05

Postby Razer88 » Sat May 06, 2006 2:58 pm

You Put the Female end on the Metter Pipe. and the Male on the Gun. SO you Hook the Gun to the Metter Pipe.
Razer88

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner