Rifling question

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby Eaglebird » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:53 pm

I've seen the 1" rifled and 2" rifled, and I was wondering how exactly it was done. A lathe, and attachments of some sort?
Also, can it be done to a .5" pipe?
Eaglebird

Postby pbmann123 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:15 pm

in order of being asked.
1. Top secret, if we tell you, you ARE going to die shortly after via our snipers on the grassy knoll.
2. Attatchements, and to which their attatched. Top secret, if we tell you, you WILL die on your way out the door as a large teflon bucket full of hydroflouric acid spills on you and dissolves any evidence.
3. no.
pbmann123

Postby nicholai » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:22 pm

Im pretty sure it is done on a home made machine that was built by the previous owner of this site. It can be done to any size pipe as well but Joel only offers 1.5" and 2" rifled barrels.
nicholai

Postby Eaglebird » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:39 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by pbmann123
[br]in order of being asked.
1. Top secret, if we tell you, you ARE going to die shortly after via our snipers on the grassy knoll.
2. Attatchements, and to which their attatched. Top secret, if we tell you, you WILL die on your way out the door as a large teflon bucket full of hydroflouric acid spills on you and dissolves any evidence.
3. no.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Lots of help, thanks :P
Also, why can't it be done to a .5" pipe. Physically impossible, or just that you won't/can't do it?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by nicholai
[br]Im pretty sure it is done on a home made machine that was built by the previous owner of this site. It can be done to any size pipe as well but Joel only offers 1.5" and 2" rifled barrels.
Ah. Any idea what kind of machine it was, how it may have worked?
Eaglebird

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Eaglebird » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by pbmann123
[br]in order of being asked.
hydroflouric acid spills on you and dissolves any evidence.
also HF acid doesn't dissolve skin and organic material like one would think. It's more of an irritation and a poison that seeps into the skin. It's very dangerous because by the time you feel it it's too late, which is one of the reasons if you spill anything on yourself in a lab you wash it off and seek help :P
Eaglebird

Postby Freefall » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:48 am

It's done basically the same way that a real rifled barrel is cut. A cutter head with a sharp tooth is pulled through the barrel.

From the bits and pieces I've heard, my guess is that either the cutter or barrel is rotated by some configuration of chains and pulleys as the cutter is pulled through. Go to google and look up "sine bar rifling bench". I think it works something like that, except it's not adjustable.

Why only certain pipe sizes? As I understand, those are the sizes that he has cutters for, and he's not planning to make more cutters for custom orders. So can it be done on different sized barrels? Sure. Is Joel going to do it? Nope.
Freefall

Postby SpudBlaster15 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:28 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Eaglebird
also HF acid doesn't dissolve skin and organic material like one would think. It's more of an irritation and a poison that seeps into the skin. It's very dangerous because by the time you feel it it's too late, which is one of the reasons if you spill anything on yourself in a lab you wash it off and seek help :P

Then I guess we will have to use hydrobromic acid.:D
SpudBlaster15

Postby boilingleadbath » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:15 pm

I know of two ways to rotate the cutting head for rifling a bore: Sine bar systems and (I might be forgetting the proper term) twist-guide systems.

Sine-bar systems allow the rate to be adjusted, at the cost of more complexity.
boilingleadbath

Postby nicholai » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm

I would think that if you wanted to make your own home made rifling machine :

keeping the barrel stationary would be easier, PVC flexes more than steel
rotating the cutting tool and moving it at a constant speed and rotation would be much easier than moving the barrel and the cutting tool
nicholai

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:39 pm

The same way rifling is cut in real barrels

Hint: wikipedia is your friend.
Madprofessor1775

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner