Muzzle Break

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby Arborman495 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:43 pm

Supressive fire, I like your idea on the front page. Even if I don't end up using your idea for the pneumatic, I will definently use it for all of my combustions.
Arborman495

Postby Mr.Plow » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Also, on the first page, The AK-47 does not use a slanted and shortened barrel. The AK-74 does.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No, the 74's brake looks like <a href="http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/smith/ak/smithak04.jpg">this</a>
You've got it completely backwards.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Although, if I were in a battle, I would prefer the guy next to me to use a '47, because the brake on the '74 makes a mean side blast. Don't want to stand next to that mother.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No, the muzzle blast still projects forward. As someone who owns civilian versions of both the 74 and 47, I can attest that there is no "side blast" any more than with a simple crowned muzzle.
Mr.Plow

Postby fullmetaljacket » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:24 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">1- I said that a stock helps not that it won't work
2- A muzzle brake and a Compensator are essentialy the same thing, just different names.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Nope, a muzzle brake is a device designed to mitigate felt recoil by directing the muzzle blast rearwards in order to create a force that tries to move the barrel forwards and indeed "brakes" the recoil.

A "compensator" is a form of muzzle brake, it´s short for "muzzle flip compensator" and it specifically designed to direct the muzzle blast upwards in order to reduce muzzle rise or "flip".

Numbah16, I don´t think the puny cartridge of the AK-74 is going to generate that sort of blast that is going to cause discomfort. The 50 BMG on the other hand, well: http://www.serbu.com/movies/bfg50firing.mpg - the guy with the AR carbine looks quite "moved" by the experience :D
fullmetaljacket

Postby Numbuh 16 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:49 pm

Yeah, The .50 IS a big cartridge. But, I have seen on the internet '74's using a different type of bullet (most likely higher grain count) that resulted in a reasonably sized additional 'side blast' from the brake.

And I'm talking about the military version, not a civilized copy. I'm quite sure they use VERY different loads, even if the same caliber. All ammunition is different. Just look at how many different .223 and 9mm loads there are! I'm pretty sure that 7.62mm (or 7.56, cant recall at the moment) has about the same selection. XD
Numbuh 16

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Mr.Plow » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But, I have seen on the internet '74's using a different type of bullet (most likely higher grain count) that resulted in a reasonably sized additional 'side blast' from the brake. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

1. Again, it is the <b>47</b> which has the slant brake installed.
2. There is no side blast. The brake catches muzzle blast, which in turn pushes down and to the left. It does not significantly direct gas towards the right.
3. Yes, the 74 does use a different type of bullet... it's a completely different caliber! 5.45x39mm versus 7.62x39mm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
And I'm talking about the military version, not a civilized copy. I'm quite sure they use VERY different loads, even if the same caliber. All ammunition is different.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
In terms of function, the key difference between the mil and civvy copies is the trigger pack. Because the copies I own are made from imported parts kits, the key components that we are discussing are the EXACT SAME as the mil version.

As for the ammunition, it does not make a bit of a difference (regarding the direction and outward velocity of escaping muzzle gases) which grade ammunition you use, as long as it fires. Whether it's new Remington or Wolf 124 grain, surplus military 124 grain bought at a gun show, or even 144 grain surplus tracer rounds... accuracy may differ, but not the direction of the muzzle gases. They do NOT use "VERY different loads" in the military.

Given a certain barrel length and twist of the rifling, you're going to want to shoot a particular grain bullet. There are a lot of .223 loads because there are different length/twist barrels for ARs. I don't shoot the same load from a 14.5" carbine barrel as I do in a 24".
Mr.Plow

Postby Arborman495 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:54 pm

I have a 1951 Russian sks (VERY proud owner) I have the bayonet and the banana clip for it.:D I have put so many of those cheapie rounds from Cheap as Dirt through it.

I have the compensator on it. I helps alot for the rise. :mrgreen: Untill I posted this topic, I had no idea that I am using the same thing on a spud gun.:mrgreen: I just couldn't figure out what the best way to do it for a potato gun.
Arborman495

Postby security1 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:28 pm

I pray that you are all wearing ear plugs and muffs.
The decibals from these devices are greatly increased to the user of the weapon.
Also make sure all bystanders are behind the shooter and not to the side of the weapon.
Remember you the shooter, are responsable for the bystanders safety.

BTW what exactly are you needing the extreme accuracy for?
It was asked and not exactly stated.
Implied but not stated.
security1

Postby Arborman495 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:36 pm

Most of that last reply was completely useless and is just common sense.

I dont need EXTREEME accuracy, I just need something to kepp the barrel down. The rise on this thing causes me to miss.

Maybe if you would have read on this topic some, I do kinda tell what I am doing with it.
Arborman495

Postby security1 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:47 pm

I apologize for the safety concerns.
I just kinda have bad hearing from shooting alot over the years.
Mainly .22LR's
I did understand the fact of hanging in the trees????sorta I guess???
However you are shooting a from a 2 inch barrel.
If there is any real pressure... you will always have muzzle jump.
Longer barrel would help greatly before the muzzle brake.
Second is there anyway you could have rotation in your round?
As a round ball will never fly straight.
security1

Postby Mr.Plow » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:51 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have a 1951 Russian sks (VERY proud owner) I have the bayonet and the banana clip for it. I have put so many of those cheapie rounds from Cheap as Dirt through it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Awesome! I've got an original Chinese Type 56 SKS (and yes, there is a type 56 AK... it's not the same thing) with all matching serials; it's a fun little rifle, even if loading with stripper clips gets annoying fast.
Mr.Plow

PreviousNext

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner