Useful Facts and Ideas for New Spudgunners *Update

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby spudshot » Wed May 11, 2005 1:44 pm

you shouldnt exceed 100 PSI in PVC pipe, and dont use pipe thats been sitting in the sun for long times, or thats been dropped or cracked

good list, though for copper soldering, you might want to add another option, i learned a different way from my grandpa, he told me to "tin" the fitting and pipe by melting solder around the end of the pipe and the inside of the fitting, kind of like we do for solvent welding, then join the pieces together, and apply heat, and then solder the joint on the outside, using flux for all of the surfaces that solder will come in contact with
spudshot

Postby draculon » Wed May 11, 2005 6:58 pm

I never though of that method spudshot. I always thought that the solder would harden before you could get the pipe into the fitting.
draculon

Postby spudshot » Wed May 11, 2005 7:11 pm

it does unless you keep a propane torch on it to keep it heated, its very difficult do do unless you have an extra set of hands helping you, but it works much better than when i tried to solder normally before
spudshot

Postby plasticex009 » Thu May 26, 2005 12:23 pm

Spudshot, I have never had problems soldering copper pipe the way suggested by manufacturers. Did you clean and flux the pipe before trying to solder? Did you heat the pipe to the right temperature? It seems the method you proposed might have a higher chance of leaking and weaker joint strength because of the lower amount of filler material in the joint.
plasticex009

Sponsored

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner