Evolution: The individual, education, and overal

Postby SkweezMyCheez » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:29 pm

So. How does evolution apply to you?
What do you think of evolution being taught in schools?
What do you think of evolution overall?

I was born and raised Catholic. I believe in evolution about 99%
I think evolution should be taught in schools the same way every other theory is taught.
I think evolution is a brilliant idea, conceived from logical evidence and observation.

I think religion is 90% bullshit. It is stories created by man to explain life. Then came science. Science is used to explain life through observation rather than imagination. The bible was written by man. Religion should be used to teach us how to act. It should teach positive principles to help in everyday life. I wish I had more time to clear up my writing and add some more but Ive got places to be!

So with that, have at it everyone!
SkweezMyCheez

Postby boilingleadbath » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:01 pm

Why do we always have to pull religion into this?

That said, evolution is:
1) (almost) universaly accepted in the scientific feild.
2) Capable of explaining things
3) Disprovable
...and is thus a usefull therory, and should be taught.

...and design is:
1) (almost) universaly rejected
2) Not cabable of explaining things - as far as I know
3) Not disprovable
...and is thus a useless non-therory. Non-therories arn't scientific. Only science gets taught in science class.
boilingleadbath

Postby Mr.Plow » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:21 pm

Great, this is going to be a debate 98% of which is discussing the ethos of religion, not evolution. Wonderful :evil:
As if we didn't have enough religion topics which all look the same...

The Intelligent Design theory is completely useless. If you disagree, please address that statement. Can we please just discuss one apect, since all other topics seem to always focus just on the point of religion?

Can anyone here provide any empirical evidence for Intelligent Design?
Mr.Plow

Postby Navigator7 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mr.PlowCan anyone here provide any empirical evidence for Intelligent Design?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Ditto.....can anyone here provide empirical evidence for evolution?

I .....LMAOROTF..... listening, reading and debating....."scientists" who, not unlike global warming theorists, do not want to buck conventional or popular wisdom by bucking the trend....yet....
SHOW ME THE SCIENTISTS who was present 60 million years ago to make a visual observation of theories taken as fact today?

Mt St Helen's and The Grand Canyon have more in common with Intelligent Design than evolution.

To answer your question squeeze:
o Evolution is as applied to me is a joke.
o I think American public schools are a disgrace.
o I think evolution fits a billet as a log in a log home serve it purpose.

I think were Darwin alive today...when presented our technology today and with the overwhelming evidence of Irreducible Complexity...Darwin would retract his theory as he indicated when he presented his theory.
(I can't find the quote)
Navigator7

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Arborman495 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:38 pm

Can anyone provide complete evidence for evolution? NO. Evolution is useful for one thing only. Teaching future scientists how to disprove theories that were once universally accepted. An example of this is the earth being flat, sun orbiting the earth, etc. Evolution is a JOKE. Find me one natural example of a complete fossil record. After you do that, state the universally accepted and proven law of biogenesis. Then look at your precious little theory.

Of course, while totally obvious, creation cannot yet be scientifically proven. You just have to believe and watch the others that don't. You pity them, but you normally can't help them because both sides are stubborn.

Don't even say that we should not "drag" religion into this. EVILution itself is a religion. Evolution can't be totally proven. It takes a lot of faith. It is impossible to believe both sides without a good degree of faith. So don't even say that religion should not be "dragged" in on this one. This topic is religion

In the end of the day, if you believe in evolution, you are an Atheist. If you believe that Jesus came to die for you, you are a Christian.

If the Christians are wrong in the end, nothing lost. I will end up as a butterfly of just cease to exist.

But if everyone else is wrong, they will spend all of eternity in hell

Teaching evolution in schools is like teaching the earth based solar system theory in Roman schools.
Arborman495

Postby kozak6 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:09 pm

I have a question about intelligent design.

How does it account for obvious flaws in "design"?
kozak6

Postby Arborman495 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:33 pm

What "flaws" there are none. All "flaws" are purposeful
Arborman495

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:47 pm

Creation as described in the bible cannot be believed, in my opinion. The bible has been translated from hebrew to latin to english, and has been changed and rewritten by so many men with agenda's that it is impossible for me to believe that the current holy bible today and as originally written are the same document.

As for Creation vs. Evolution. As soon as a creation-type person can explain to me why there are fossilized skeletons of 40 foot tall lizards that date back to millions of years ago, I'm going with evolution. So far, the best defense I've seen from creation is a picture of a monkey photoshopped with lipstick and an announcer saying "Does THIS look like your grandma? I rest my case!"
Madprofessor1775

Postby Mr.Plow » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:55 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Ditto.....can anyone here provide empirical evidence for evolution?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Yep: the distribution of species across geography explanable only through plate tectonics (or is continental drift another crackpot liberal theory?). Please explain how, say, the Galapagos Island finches that Darwin observed gained those specific characteristics without any sort of inherited mechanism?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">SHOW ME THE SCIENTISTS who was present 60 million years ago to make a visual observation of theories taken as fact today?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
SHOW ME THE DEITY who was present a few billion years ago to make a visual observation of the story taken (by you) as fact today?
A picture would be nice. :D

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Mt St Helen's and The Grand Canyon have more in common with Intelligent Design than evolution.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No, they're both examples of geological evolution. Read up on your Lyell. And I'd hardly believe that having St. Helens would be an intelligent move. Way to go, God, you built a geological pipe bomb?

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">overwhelming evidence of Irreducible Complexity<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
What evidence? There is no evidence of irreducible complexity. Only evidence that people don't understand evolution.

I think were Darwin alive today...when presented our technology today and with the overwhelming evidence of Irreducible Complexity...Darwin would retract his theory as he indicated when he presented his theory.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Behe did a pretty close job himself
"Behe additionally testified that the presence of irreducible complexity in organisms would not rule out the involvement of evolutionary mechanisms in the development of organic life."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreducibly_complex

In the end of the day, if you believe in evolution, you are an Atheist. If you believe that Jesus came to die for you, you are a Christian.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
And how are those mutually exclusive?

How does it account for obvious flaws in "design"?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Easy. God invented ethyl alcohol, right? Clearly, he was drunk.

Why else would our sinuses be so poorly "designed"?
Don't forget the ol' dinos dying out (or was that a trick by satan to test us?:D)
Mr.Plow

Postby Navigator7 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madprofessor1775
[br]Creation as described in the bible cannot be believed, in my opinion. The bible has been translated from hebrew to latin to english, and has been changed and rewritten by so many men with agenda's that it is impossible for me to believe that the current holy bible today and as originally written are the same document.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

A simple bible study will disprove your argument.

Sure ....there are differences between translations that can cause serious debate among scholars over the use of a single word.....but in the end the message remains consistent. I find the differences as meaningful as the price of gas indifferent cities.

When evolution has played out all it's possibilities you still need a divine breath to get even evolution started.
Evolutional theories have changed since Darwin's time...the bIble hasn't.
Irreducible Complexity explains the divine breath in a manner evolution can't even approach.
Navigator7

Next

Return to Political Rants, Discussions & Debates