Evolution: The individual, education, and overal

Postby fullmetaljacket » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">In the end of the day, if you believe in evolution, you are an Atheist. If you believe that Jesus came to die for you, you are a Christian.

If the Christians are wrong in the end, nothing lost. I will end up as a butterfly of just cease to exist.

But if everyone else is wrong, they will spend all of eternity in hell<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

This has been covered many times, but I'll reiterate my position on the matter.

Atheism and Christianity aren't the only two systems of belief in the world, by a long shot. You're saying that you're covered, but wait, wait if Christianity isn't right? What if the Muslims are right? What are you doing to cover this eventuality?

It's worth nothing that less than one third of the Earth's population is actually Christian (quoted from Christian sources which are invariably optimistic) - It's a bit harsh for an all loving God to condemn 67% of his children to eternal damnation, particularly those who haven't even heard of him.

In short, believing in something "just in case it's right" is no basis for rational argument. What if I tell you that unless you poured peanut butter over your head five times a week, you will burn in hell forever? You cannot prove that I'm not right, so are you going to do it, just in case?
fullmetaljacket

Postby someguynamedchris » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:54 am

Whats the point in knowing how we got here? Let’s say one side was proven correct how does that…

Put food on the table?
Pay the bills?
Fix my jeep?

It doesn’t its all a big waste of time.
someguynamedchris

Postby SPG » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:54 am

Hmmm so Arborman, you're saying that if you take a literalist view of the Bible, in a way that is totally inconsistant with the writers, and with the viewpoints of those around Jesus, and with those of Jesus, then you're a Christian.

If however you understand, as Christ did, that the Bible is full of metaphor, and myth, and parables, then you're burning in Hell?

In that case I'd rather be in Hell with the disciples than in Heaven with the narrowminded.
SPG

Postby fullmetaljacket » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:59 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">In that case I'd rather be in Hell with the disciples than in Heaven with the narrowminded.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Reminds me of what Edmund Blackadder had stated as Archbishop, "You see, the thing about heaven is that heaven is for people who like the sort of things that go on in heaven. Like, well, singing, talking to God, watering pot plants."

:D
fullmetaljacket

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Arborman495 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:49 pm

And this is comming from a little Frenchie????:D

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!

If it wasn't for American Christian G.I.'s you would be scrubbing German toilets for your entire life.

I believe that everything in the Bible is 100% true. Yes I understand about the parables.

Don't think you know anyhting about Christ if you are not a Christian. "If however you understand"??!!!

O Please

If only YOU knew

And Chris, this discussion about evolution/Creation is about beliefs. It determines where you will end up.
Arborman495

Postby spuzi14 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:55 pm

I'm gonna drop out of this too, I can't keep up with the posts. I only get on here twice a day and I don't have the enthusiam to read everything when it's a topic like this. If I can get a word in then I will but other than that, I'll be on the side lines.
spuzi14

Postby boilingleadbath » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:56 pm

Hey... let's apply a pascal's wager analog to global warming!

<table padding="20" border="1"><tr><td> </td><td>Is true</td><td>Is not true</td></tr>
<tr><td>Do nothing</td><td>large loss</td><td>No loss</td></tr>
<tr><td>Take action</td><td>large gain</td><td>Some loss</td></tr></table>

...so, we should take action!

Seems you guys think such arguments are acctualy substantial, so I figured I'd piss you off.
...because you now have two options:
1) Admit that it's a stupid argument, thus removing one of your major points in this discussion
2) Admit that we should take action in regards to global warming
boilingleadbath

Postby spuzi14 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Maybe I'm a captain called obvious but it seems to me you're in the wrong topic.
spuzi14

Postby Navigator7 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:52 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by boilingleadbath
Seems you guys think such arguments are acctualy substantial, so I figured I'd piss you off.
...because you now have two options:
1) Admit that it's a stupid argument, thus removing one of your major points in this discussion
2) Admit that we should take action in regards to global warming
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The question is not whether things are warming up...but whether man is responsible for it?
I'm not sure what kind of human it takes not to recognize we are a planet spinning in the universe and things have been warmer and colder than they are now.

So.....if the planet is warming by natural causes, there is no way humans are gonna fix it.....and should we?

Global Warming remains simply a tax on the gullible.
Navigator7

Postby boilingleadbath » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:05 pm

You compleatly missed the point; the argument works either way. It does not depend on <i>where</i> the uncertainty is - in that it's happening or in that we can do anything about it - but only on that there is some uncertainty either way.

Pascal's wager (for reference) is very similar, but the graph looks something like this instead:

<table padding="20" border="1">
<tr> <td></td> <td>Hell/Heaven exist</td> <td>The don't</td></tr>
<tr> <td>Believe</td> <td>infinite gain</td> <td>finite loss</td></tr>
<tr> <td>Don't</td> <td>Infinite loss</td> <td>finite gain</td></tr>
</table>

The idea being that believing in these "places" is the best way to do things. (in a game-therory type way)
boilingleadbath

PreviousNext

Return to Political Rants, Discussions & Debates