Subliminal Advertising

Postby spuzi14 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:48 pm

It is definitely sneaky and definitely humerous.
spuzi14

Postby InvisibleAndThenSome » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:54 pm

I think there is a huge amount of psychological and sociological engineering that goes into advertising, but I wouldn't call that subliminal messages. It's just stuff that is designed to coax your mind into buying stuff. I.e.

Psychological Engineered Advertising - A BMW ad shows a man with his wife and kids driving around, with a message stating how a BMW is a family man's car. This is done to reconcile the man's role as a family supporter and his desire to break free and drive fast cars.

Subliminal Advertising - A scene of a family at dinner time eating and conversing. Every 30th frame, there is a frame of a sports car and the corporate logo.

Whenever I think of subliminal advertising, the movie Serenity pops to mind, where the various layers of data on the television screen trigger Rivers to kick ass. The code is invisible to everyone, but for some reason her brain is trained to pick up on it.
InvisibleAndThenSome

Postby spuzi14 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:08 pm

I can't say I seen that movie.

I guess you're right about BMW and stuff. It doesn't always have to be visible. It can just be an idea projected to the audience that some people will pick up on and some people won't pick up on.
spuzi14

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:39 pm

I think people are so stupid that subliminal advertising isn't necessary.
Madprofessor1775

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Mr.Plow » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It doesn't always have to be visible<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
No, it absolutely has to be INVISIBLE.

The point is that the stimulus is picked up well beyond conscious perception. You never see it, you never know that you've seen it, etc.
The fun experiments involve subliminal projection of a stimulus, then blasting the participant with 120dB noise to elicit the startle response. :D
Mr.Plow

Postby Navigator7 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:32 am

We don't get TV where I live.
It's been 5 years now.
I think TV can influence what you think, what you buy and how you live and develop your moral values.
Is it unthinkable that someone could use our TV networks to control the way the masses think?
I wonder if over all...the act of watching TV is subliminal?
There is subliminal and then there is just plain irritating.
Our absence from TV can be compared to sand paper.
We might have viewed TV as 300 grit sand paper five years ago....but now it seems like 80 grit.
We talk of getting satellite service and then watch TV somewhere and think.....Nah!

Subliminal advertising is so successful perhaps it just went underground to escape those that would stop it?

Very intriguing topic. I read books and news clippings on the subject in college. The people were disgusted back then. (50's)
But now, TV is so disgusting......maybe subliminal advertising is no longer effective?
Maybe it's subliminal chemistry?

Bwahhahahahaha
Navigator7

Postby Freefall » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:24 am

Why do I have a sudden craving for fruity oaty bars?
Freefall

Postby aetherguy881 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I wouldn't say I'm paranoid. But if you were possibly living in a secretly controlled society, wouldn't you be a bit worried? There's not much anybody can do about it because as Nav said<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Wouldn't they secretly control out minds to not think of that? Then we wouldn't be worried.

I'm not.
aetherguy881

Postby spuzi14 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think TV can influence what you think, what you buy and how you live and develop your moral values<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Think!? It can and does! I don't watch MTV or BET and I only watch VH1 during metal month. I've talked ot kids at school that specifically watch MTV and such channels and they see things completely different than I do. Everything has to be to the extreme with them and with me it's the opposite. This is also true with the kids I talk to that don't watch those channels. They tend to see things the same as I do and tend to ignore "trends" and stuff.
spuzi14

Postby clide » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:18 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by spuzi14
Think!? It can and does! I don't watch MTV or BET and I only watch VH1 during metal month. I've talked ot kids at school that specifically watch MTV and such channels and they see things completely different than I do. Everything has to be to the extreme with them and with me it's the opposite. This is also true with the kids I talk to that don't watch those channels. They tend to see things the same as I do and tend to ignore "trends" and stuff.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Maybe they do/don't watch those channels because of the way they think, not the other way around...My roommate only watches channels that I would never watch. I haven't started thinking anything like him.

I know the subconscious is a powerful thing, but I think you all are giving way too much credit to what subliminal advertising can do. Do you just randomly buy or do things because it just pops into your head? You probably have reasons and logic behind most of the things you do, and like plow said, the best subliminal advertising can do is evoke vague emotions.
clide

PreviousNext

Return to Political Rants, Discussions & Debates