I built a Cellular Core ABS cannon, will I die?

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby aturner » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:35 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by benstern
[br]Just try to use pressure rated pvc on all cannons for that added safety margin. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ben, that is good advice. You could and should have stopped right there.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Experienced spudders: we should not let people use potentially unsafe building materials. Just because we don't know of anyone seriously hurt as a result of using cellular core in combustions, we should not take the chance or wait for it. Once it happens spudguns could be banned.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As freefall mentioned, ABS cellcore is much more flexible than PVC cellcore. In the UNLIKELY event of a problem, cellcore ABS will is much less likely to shatter or fragment.

But the primary thing to consider here is that a well built cellcore ABS conmbustion launcher is very unlikely to have a structural failure in the first place. It will not explode and will not harm anyone.

If you read the de$cription provided by elstevedore, he seems to have taken some care in the constuction of his launcher. Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered to offer him a meaningful response. Plus, he also seems to have searched the forum and has already read prior discussions on cellcore ABS versus PVC. Now Ben, how about you do the same?

As for preventing bans on spudguns, the main thing we need to convey is to treat them like a real firearm, and 99% of that simply involves not pointing a loaded spudgun at a person (or oneself).
aturner

Previous

Return to Combustion Launchers