I want one of these!

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby sgort87 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:43 pm

If they are connected, he's got it well-hidden and must be using oxygen or propane in them. I'd put money on them being for show only.

It's still damn amazing. The custom work involved in his projects is incredible.
sgort87

Postby Navigator7 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:51 am

We don't get TV...What's burning man?

Those air cylinders look exactly like Bimba. But where are the air lines?. Springs inserts?

I think....I've been outdone...and most of us on this forum have been out done......This calls for a radical new approach....Like building a very powerful cannon my grandchildren can stand NEXT to without danger.
(And make dogs run and little kids cry when it goes off)
Navigator7

Postby sgort87 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:08 am

Nav, Burning man is what we people live for. It's the tinkerer's paradise. It's a community for a week in the middle of nowhere with no rules except a few basics. It's science. It's art. Rather, it's the amazing combination of both. (And it's not really ever on TV. I know of it from my uncle who goes every year.)

The <a href="http://www.burningman.com">Burning Man Website</a> can show you better than I can.

Freefall, it's been a plan of mine to put one of these together for a number of months. I'd absolutely love if you could make it, but if you can't be there it won't slow me down.

I think the only people I talked to about it was Plow and BenStern so far. The event would be great. Just going to Burning Man would be worth it, but contributing to the community would be a blast!
sgort87

Postby jimmy » Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:43 pm

Clide, sgort, Nav: I don't think those are pneumatic pistons. They look to me like air shocks used as recoil dampers. Does that thing crouch (duck?) when it fires?
jimmy

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby clide » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:56 pm

I'm fairly sure they are the same pneumatic actuators seen on http://www.flickr.com/photos/firemaster/22720471/
Plugging the ports on one or both ends would allow them to act like air shocks, but you can see an open port on the cylinder on the left foot of the machine.
clide

Postby Navigator7 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:04 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by clide
[br]I'm fairly sure they are the same pneumatic actuators seen on http://www.flickr.com/photos/firemaster/22720471/
Plugging the ports on one or both ends would allow them to act like air shocks, but you can see an open port on the cylinder on the left foot of the machine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I see that too. They look exactly like Bimba cylinders
Navigator7

Postby SGTCSpudMaster » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:13 pm

wow
SGTCSpudMaster

Previous

Return to Combustion Launchers