16's finally building one!

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby Numbuh 16 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:47 pm

Alright, today I finnaly bugged my mother into going to Home Depot to buy the rest of the bits (sans electric ignitor, the cost $11 there...) to build a basic combustion.

Okay, Heres what I know about how it wil be so far;

I 1/2" dia. barrel
3" dia. chamber
150 PSI pressure release safety (guy that worked plumbing said I'd need it.)
And, all the fittings to put it together.

What I want to know, (Scince I don't exactly know how to contact them about this) is if theres anyone down in central Texas (Pflugerville, to be exact) that knows what the exact regulations on these things are, so I don't end up thrown out of school or something. Also, how would I go about remote-firing it? Do I just add more wire to the ignition?

And yes, it will shoot potatoes. Already had the barrel, so I diddn't want to find one that fitted golfballs.
Numbuh 16

Postby Mr.Plow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:25 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
150 PSI pressure release safety (guy that worked plumbing said I'd need it.)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You don't.

I'm pretty sure they're illegal in Texas, anyways (based on the Frog Boy story from way back)
Mr.Plow

Postby Numbuh 16 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mr.Plow
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
150 PSI pressure release safety (guy that worked plumbing said I'd need it.)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
You don't.

I'm pretty sure they're illegal in Texas, anyways (based on the Frog Boy story from way back)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

[intercourse].
Numbuh 16

Postby BewareOfDog » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:01 am

They're considered firearms in Texas:

http://www.spudgun.info/Spudgun-Legal.htm
BewareOfDog

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Numbuh 16 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:05 am

Well, its not to late to change my plans and make a pneumatic instead. I haven't even bothered to open the chemicals yet.
Numbuh 16

Postby markfh11q » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:23 am

Well, since you bought fittings for a combustion, MAKE SURE they're pressure rated before you use them for a pneumatic. Look for ASTM D2466, or "NSF-pw" on them.
markfh11q

Postby Kenny_McCormic » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:36 am

you should be fine with a combustion.its considered a firearm so what? People build guns from scratch all of the time. What do you think people do with those cut up AK-47s you can buy?They mill/bend a new receiver and install a new semi only trigger and use the thing. I cant see how that is very different from building one completely from scratch.
Kenny_McCormic

Postby SpudMonster » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:35 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Numbuh 16
[br]
150 PSI pressure release safety (guy that worked plumbing said I'd need it.)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The 11th commandment:

Thou shalt not believe anything spoken by guys in plumbing, for thou shalt be misinformed beyond thy comprehension.

Simply put, the guys in plumbing are dumbasses. Don't believe em.
SpudMonster

Postby Los Frijoles » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:08 pm

It's only illegal if you get caught.
Los Frijoles

Postby Mr.Plow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:11 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">you should be fine with a combustion.its considered a firearm so what? People build guns from scratch all of the time. What do you think people do with those cut up AK-47s you can buy?They mill/bend a new receiver and install a new semi only trigger and use the thing. I cant see how that is very different from building one completely from scratch<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Building a legal firearm from a parts kit and building an illegal destructive device (spudgun) are VERY different.

While I won't get into all the legal aspects, one alone is all that is necessary to get my point across: caliber. Sure, you can build an AK from a parts kit, but it's a 30 caliber firearm. Shoot, you can even make a 50 cal. But if you were to make a 20mm, you'd be getting into treacherous territory which requires wading through lots of red tape. If it is classified as a firearm, then a spudgun would have to conform to firearm laws, noteably the restriction of firearms with a bore of diameter greater than .50 inches. Greater than that, such as the 20mm example, classifies it as a Class III Destructive Device. If you're caught in possession of an illegal (unregistered) destructive device, prepare for a prosecutorial ass beating.
Mr.Plow

Next

Return to Combustion Launchers