16's finally building one!

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby BewareOfDog » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:37 pm

We've also conveniently side-stepped the question of:

" the exact regulations on these things are, so I don't end up thrown out of school or something".

Tex. Penal Code § 46.03(a) and (g) makes it a third degree felony to intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possess a firearm of any sort in the following locations:

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution…unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

Do not bring ANYTHING, which may even REMOTELY considered to be dangerous, to school with you.
BewareOfDog

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:45 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mr.Plow
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">you should be fine with a combustion.its considered a firearm so what? People build guns from scratch all of the time. What do you think people do with those cut up AK-47s you can buy?They mill/bend a new receiver and install a new semi only trigger and use the thing. I cant see how that is very different from building one completely from scratch<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Building a legal firearm from a parts kit and building an illegal destructive device (spudgun) are VERY different.

While I won't get into all the legal aspects, one alone is all that is necessary to get my point across: caliber. Sure, you can build an AK from a parts kit, but it's a 30 caliber firearm. Shoot, you can even make a 50 cal. But if you were to make a 20mm, you'd be getting into treacherous territory which requires wading through lots of red tape. If it is classified as a firearm, then a spudgun would have to conform to firearm laws, noteably the restriction of firearms with a bore of diameter greater than .50 inches. Greater than that, such as the 20mm example, classifies it as a Class III Destructive Device. If you're caught in possession of an illegal (unregistered) destructive device, prepare for a prosecutorial ass beating.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

The .50 or bigger rule only applies to rifles with "no sporting purpose". As long as its a smoothbore he won't have any trouble.
Madprofessor1775

Postby Mr.Plow » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The .50 or bigger rule only applies to rifles with "no sporting purpose". As long as its a smoothbore he won't have any trouble.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I highly doubt that would excuse him from prosecution. I know the shotgun loophole, but that'll most likely not work. Considering precedent, I'd rather stay on the safe side.
Mr.Plow

Postby fullmetaljacket » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:46 pm

What about <a href="http://www.centuryarms.com.au/docs/4bore.html">4 bore shotguns</a>? Well over 20mm, still a destructive device?
fullmetaljacket

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby jimmy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:37 am

How does Texas law regulate black powder muzzle loaders? IIRC, many are greater than 50cal and have rifled barrels.
jimmy

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:42 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mr.Plow
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
The .50 or bigger rule only applies to rifles with "no sporting purpose". As long as its a smoothbore he won't have any trouble.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I highly doubt that would excuse him from prosecution. I know the shotgun loophole, but that'll most likely not work. Considering precedent, I'd rather stay on the safe side.

Its not a loophole, its just not a law. What he wants to do is 100% legal without question.

No DA in the country that isn't sniffing glue would bother prosecuting, because even a retarded defense attorney would get it thrown out of court.

Even if its considered a firearm, so what? Hes not going to sell it so it doesn't need a serial number.

I know your trying to be safe, but hes fine, I'd say do it. As long as he builds a safe cannon he'll be happy firing it and we'll have another member of this hobby.
Madprofessor1775

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:43 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jimmy
[br]How does Texas law regulate black powder muzzle loaders? IIRC, many are greater than 50cal and have rifled barrels.

A muzzle loading firearm isn't regulated by any federal gun law. Its not even really considered a firearm. You can have one sent to your house without a gun dealer if you wanted.

In fact, if you want a 5 pound field gun, you can have (and fire) it.
Madprofessor1775

Postby fullmetaljacket » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:48 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> In fact, if you want a 5 pound field gun, you can have (and fire) it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Or a <a href="http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm">12 pound howitzer</a> :D
fullmetaljacket

Postby jimmy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:22 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madprofessor1775
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jimmy
[br]How does Texas law regulate black powder muzzle loaders? IIRC, many are greater than 50cal and have rifled barrels.
A muzzle loading firearm isn't regulated by any federal gun law. Its not even really considered a firearm. You can have one sent to your house without a gun dealer if you wanted.

In fact, if you want a 5 pound field gun, you can have (and fire) it.
Really? What bizarre laws. I can have a 55cal black powder long rifle, accurate, and deadly, to >1000' but I can't build a combustion spud gun that'll barely <u>reach</u> 1000'.
jimmy

Postby Numbuh 16 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Madprofessor1775
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mr.Plow
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">

Its not a loophole, its just not a law. What he wants to do is 100% legal without question.

No DA in the country that isn't sniffing glue would bother prosecuting, because even a retarded defense attorney would get it thrown out of court.

Even if its considered a firearm, so what? Hes not going to sell it so it doesn't need a serial number.

I know your trying to be safe, but hes fine, I'd say do it. As long as he builds a safe cannon he'll be happy firing it and we'll have another member of this hobby.

I really hope you are right, as long as I don't fire it in city limits, right? and yeah, it will be muzzel loaded, so, I guess it really wont matter. Also, I just figured out exactly WHY he said I'd need a pressure-release valve. He thought I was using cellulated core PVC. Everything I have is SCH 40.

As long as its legal, I'm going to go through with it. But, if I end up biting the buisness end of the long arm of the law, your CPU is fried.
Have a nice day. =)
Numbuh 16

PreviousNext

Return to Combustion Launchers