World cheapest spudgun.

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby mik » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:10 am

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:Dunlike most member of this forum. I lived in china.(I hate this hell, lucky you didn't born here)
My super cheap spudgun come from a coincidence. The PVC pipe just could stuck tightly in the bottle mouth. The device include a 1.5L PE beverage bottle---transparent + 2 feet 2.0cm PVC water pipe-1Mpa + 1 lighter igniter. + 2 needle + 2 wire Total cost at 3yuan=0.4$.

Unlike most of you. My original purpose was to study the combustion process.-----(At that point, I didn't even know the name----spudgun but I already have an idea of fuel air combustion lunching device. a idea about things far more complex and useful than any tipe of spudgun) It's amazing to watch the combustion process through the transparent beverage bottle. And some day I accidently found that the 2.0cm PVC water pipe could stuck tightly in the bottle mouth . later I complete this cheapest spudgun.

I use this very simple toy to accelerate a 4g glassball to about 120m/s----(calculated by how longtime it taken from fired to drop to the pond.) And a subdiameter wax-nail round (like the discarding sabot rounds) penetrated a 6cm wood. and shoot a 3 feet stick to 100m away.other rounds including beans, water, multiple glassball.

I saw some video on the internet, And I found some people use device much bigger than mine, but achieved less effect. I know their's problem Because they don't know this: The reaction rate related with 1-gas presure 2-mixture components 3-ignition
I have no resourses like O2 ,C2H2, H2,.......witch needed for adjust the mixture components. So I stuck the glass ball at the smaller part of the barrel. and make it will move foreward only when presure higher than a value---(like 300,000pa) this could make the combustion process rapidly complete. Haha, simple, isn't it.:D:D:D:D:D:oops::oops::oops::):):):)
mik

Postby mik » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:24 pm

The reaction rate related with 1-gas presure 2-mixture components 3-ignition 4£­temperature
mik

Postby spuzi14 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:20 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">this could make the combustion process rapidly complete. Haha, simple, isn't it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Rapidly complete inside a pop bottle container and it's simple? It is simple that you're asking to get hurt if I understand you right.

You are saying that you plan to accelerate the combustion process inside a plastic bottle rated to 120 PSI, correct?
spuzi14

Postby mik » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:38 am

You are saying that you plan to accelerate the combustion process inside a plastic bottle rated to 120 PSI, correct?

The bottle was made of PE, it was ransparent, could stand about 800,000pa. The advantage of the PE chamber is Transparent and it's not frill so will not generate fragments when explode.
mik

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby SpudMonster » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:12 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by mik
[br]The reaction rate related with 1-gas presure 2-mixture components 3-ignition 4£­temperature

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Why do you keep posting that?
SpudMonster

Postby spuzi14 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:55 pm

PE being what?
spuzi14

Postby SpudMonster » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:29 pm

Polyethylene
SpudMonster

Postby spuzi14 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Oh.

(starts heading to Wikipedia to read up on polyethylene)

EDIT:Wikipedia didn't say much about strength but if you're confident enough to use it then I guess it's strong enough.
spuzi14

Postby SpudMonster » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:19 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by spuzi14
[br]but if you're confident enough to use it then I guess it's strong enough.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Tell that to the guys using DWV in their pneumatics...
SpudMonster

Postby spuzi14 » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:56 pm

You have a point.
spuzi14

Next

Return to Combustion Launchers