where can i get a cheap(ish) 4x2 reducing coupling

Post questions and info about safe and unsafe materials that can be or should not be used to construct a launcher. Also post things about different universal accessories for your cannon (breech loader, muzzle break, etc.)

Postby DEAD » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:08 am

hi, anyone know where i can get a pvc sh40 4x2 reducing coupling that doesnt cost $70. im contemplating using a bushing instead, but that would look ugly, lol.

btw joel if you read this (which quite understandably i doubt youll have the time to), if your getting some of the "hard to get" fittings at a reasonable wholesale price, it might be an easy way to make a quick profit selling them. I already see your doing this with the clear pvc pipe and the 2.5 inch barrels which seem impossibly expensive.
DEAD

Postby markfh11q » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:33 am

What? A 4x2" reducing coupling costs under 5 bucks, (four something), at my hardware store. If you're ordering off McMaster, they will be expensive. Note that reducing couplings are DWV, (unrated for water pressure), and are not to be used on pneumatics. Only combustions are safe with them.

EDIT: well, nevermind, that's why they're 70 bucks. Okay, let me rephrase that, "Cheap reducing couplings are DWV, and are not to be used in pneumatics, as they are only safe for combustions..."
markfh11q

Postby BiggSauce » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:47 am

Dead, you would be much better off with a 4" coupling and a 4"x2" reduceing bushing. 8 bucks at the most at Home Depot.
BiggSauce

Postby TurboSuper » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:09 am

Buy a DWV reducer coupling and glue it to the bushing with Plumber's Goop (or whatever, it doesn't really matter). That way you can use a bushing and the cannon will still look cool.
TurboSuper

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby pbmann123 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:42 am

i can buy 4X2 reducing couplings, pressure rated sch 40, 80 or 120. i cna also get them in a variety of colors, white, grey, blue/grey, red and rainbird-ish green. a white sch 40 pressure rated 4X2 coupling will cost you under 10 bucks cdn i believe
pbmann123

Postby DEAD » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:36 am

thanks for the answers, i was just curious cause joels spud guns have them and he wouldnt pay (or im pretty sure he wouldnt pay) 70 bucks for a reducing coupling. and yes, i probally am going to wind up using couplings and bushings, but first i have to figure out my valve. tricky stuff, lol.
DEAD

Return to Construction Materials / Accessories