Proof that abs is some tuff stuff!

Post questions and info about safe and unsafe materials that can be or should not be used to construct a launcher. Also post things about different universal accessories for your cannon (breech loader, muzzle break, etc.)

Postby DK » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:16 pm

Could you provide some kind of a reference to this? Say, a web site?

Edit:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">"USES/APPLICATIONS
ABS pipe and fittings have become a leading material for DWV applications because it offers an outstanding combination of properties. Contractors have installed more than 10 billion feet of ABS pipe in residential and commercial construction. <b>ABS pressure pipe is also available for certain industrial applications. ABS pipe is sold in 10' and 20' lengths, and 12' lengths in Canada.</b>"(*)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Well I'll be damned...
I might have to track some of this down, just for S&G!

(*)Taken from <a href="http://www.ppfahome.org/abs/index.html">The Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association</a> general information web page.
DK

Postby sgort87 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 am

It does exist. It's just very very very rare in the U.S. and anywhere else for that matter. It's just that most ABS is actually cellular core. When ABS is not cell core, it's actually quite strong.

It still prefer PVC. It looks nicer and smells a hell of a lot better when exposed to machining heat.
sgort87

Postby nicholai » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:20 am

oh man, if you've ever cooked pvc to the point that it is crumbly and black it smells the worst smelly smell of any smelly smell ever smelled... I accidentally set an injection molding machine around 550 deg.F and loaded some type II through the screw and purged out mostly smoke and black crud, it was gut wrenching and took my breath away.
nicholai

Previous

Return to Construction Materials / Accessories