flour power

Post questions and info about things you have launched or thought about launching. No posts about explosive projectiles!

Postby exploding_car » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:18 pm

Its A PLASTIC BOTTLE I use deer park bottles that are pretty cheap and flexible and if the thing would go straight I wouldn't mind getting hit in the head unless a pro football quarterback threw it or in the eye
but fullmetaljacket you do have a good idea on making it out of allunim foil,

I did a test dropping them off my deck the bottle was a quarter full of flour the a plastic wrap held the flour in but Prevented the bottle from crushing, after a test or 2 the flour loosened the wrap and made it slip off but there was no cloud just a small, star shape of flour on the patio maybe ¾ full.
DK I acknowledge what you’re saying however the acceleration of the bottle would cause the most of the flour to fly to the back of the bottle. The coke bottle was suggested so you can cut along the groves, you’re probably right that it is too hard but deer park makes thin bottles that are very flexible, the bottles are for area damage and fire/flour support ha ha fire support flour support, wow that sucked… so you don’t want to get hit either way even with bbs and paintballs. And the weight of the flour acts as a separate object during impact as it flies forward and out though the widen slits of the crushing bottle. Finally I am aware of the trouble of shooting it out of a cannon that’s why I need your input
sorry my reply is so long
exploding_car

Postby DK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">however the acceleration of the bottle would cause the most of the flour to fly to the back of the bottle<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I meant when it hit something, the added weight of the flour would give it more momentum, hence a harder impact. ;)

EC, what size barrel/bottle size are you planning on using for this, and how much of the bottle crushes when you drop it from your deck? It might help if you used something a little weaker for covering the cuts in the bottle like tracing paper, or something similar.
DK

Postby SpudMonster » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:26 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Post questions and info about things you have launched or thought about launching.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

How does this thread relate to launching?
SpudMonster

Postby DK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by SpudMonster
How does this thread relate to launching?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, the fact that he's trying to launch something might be a clue ;).
DK

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby BewareOfDog » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:39 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Originally posted by exploding_car</b>
Its A PLASTIC BOTTLE I use deer park bottles that are pretty cheap and flexible and if the thing would go straight I wouldn't mind getting hit in the head unless a pro football quarterback threw it or in the eye
but fullmetaljacket you do have a good idea on making it out of allunim foil...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Once Upon A Time:
A 2-1/2" diameter circle, (cut out of the side of a 2 Liter plastic soda bottle) almost blew the back door to my garage out of the wall! It was in a hybrid, but it just goes to show what a mere few grams will do at an extremely high speed.

And wrapping "flour" in aluminum foil does not make the mass of the projectile any less dangerous. - A "pro football quarterback" could NOT throw a plastic bottle over 300 mph, so your futile attempt at a comparison was more than a little silly.
BewareOfDog

Postby Freefall » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:01 am

When firing my combustion gun for the first time, I was indoors, using only milk caps as wadding, with nothing else in the barrel. My backstop was a cardboard box in front of my bedroom door, about ten feet away. The milk cap punched cleanly through both sides of the box (I couldn't have cut the holes cleaner if I had tried) and put a hole through one side of my door.

Please don't think that just because something is not very heavy that it won't do any damage.
Freefall

Postby fullmetaljacket » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:35 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Please don't think that just because something is not very heavy that it won't do any damage<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Agreed, the damage I've seen airsoft BBs of practically insignificant mass when fired at sufficient velocity is not to be taken lightly.
fullmetaljacket

Postby TurboSuper » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:47 am

Ditto FMJ...im still reeling from what that thing can do to a can...
TurboSuper

Postby exploding_car » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:46 pm

I’m using a LOW powered pneumatic its not going to pierce anything but paper, the deer park bottles are for throwing I wont shoot them unless I put a 3â€Â
exploding_car

Postby Green Villain » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:27 pm

If this will be shot like a mortar, how about using a balloon? If this will be aimed and shot directly at a "target", I suggest aborting the idea all together!
Green Villain

PreviousNext

Return to Ammo Discussions