Illegal in NY, and possibly more

Discuss spud cannon legalities.

Postby nicknomo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:06 pm

Although it is not specifically considered a firearm, there are laws in NY state that prohibit any combustion based devices that also propel an object forward. These are provisioned under laws governing explosives and fireworks.

They are also covered under the dangerous items clause...
nicknomo

Postby spudshot » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:54 pm

but does it state solid fuel or gaseous fuel?
spudshot

Postby Freefall » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">combustion based devices that also propel an object forward<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">So does that make my car illegal? (It's powered by an internal <b>combustion</b> engine, and has the major purpose of <b>propelling</b> people and <b>objects forward</b>.):)
Freefall

Postby GeneralPrimevil » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:15 pm

That's gonna be a tough rebuttal...
GeneralPrimevil

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby ethyl » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:13 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Freefall
[br]combustion based devices that also propel an object forward So does that make my car illegal? (It's powered by an internal <b>combustion</b> engine, and has the major purpose of <b>propelling</b> people and <b>objects forward</b>.):)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That is why they require a license to operate a vehicle! ;)

Are we talking NY state or NY city?

edit: deleted nested quote
ethyl

Postby The Blight » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:35 pm

Freefall the combustion propells the piston... So as long as the cylinders are vertical, and the car is horizontal, you are okey as it is propelled downwards ;) but if you have a boxerengine, you are in big trouble!
The Blight

Postby benstern » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:04 pm

could you perhaps provide a link to said 'law'?
benstern

Postby BewareOfDog » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Originally posted by benstern</b>
could you perhaps provide a link to said 'law'?

<Mocking whine>
...could you perhaps provide a link to said 'law'?
</mocking whine>

Why do you require a link? Is it because you doubt the existence of "sad law"? Will this (<b>perhaps</b>) be sufficient?

<a href="http://www.nysrpa.org/chapter180-buffalo.pdf">CHARTER AND CODE OF THE CITY OF BUFFALO, NEW YORK</a> <font size="1">(Right Click "Save As")</font>
Updated 3-5-2003
PART II GENERAL LEGISLATION
Chapter 180, FIREARMS, ARROWS AND OTHER WEAPONS
ARTICLE I, Firearms and Arrows
§ 180-1. Firearms, shotguns, rifles and other dangerous weapons.

L. Discharge of weapons; permits.
(1) No person shall discharge an air gun, shotgun, rifle, assault weapon, machine gun,
submachine gun or a firearm of any kind or description in the city, except police officers,
peace officers, members of the military and persons holding permits as in this subsection
provided.

M. Penalties for offenses. A violation of any provision of this section shall be punishable
by a fine not to exceed $1,500 or by imprisonment not to exceed 15 days, or by both such
fine and imprisonment.
BewareOfDog

Postby draculon » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:30 pm

Living in Buffalo, I know that the cops aren't very strict when it comes to this. Most of the cops are actually more than interested in how they work instead of arresting us.
The last time I was reprimanded, I had shot a test shot of my new combustion in my backyard, and the cops happened to be driving by. So they came in, took a look, just said "Be careful with that thing, and don't shoot it as much."

Besides, with the way things are now, the cops are too busy giving out parking tickets downtown then patrolling for criminals. :?

EDIT: I would still advise not shooting them locally. Don't let my stupidity rub off.
draculon

Postby BewareOfDog » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><b>Originally posted by draculon</b>
... Don't let my stupidity rub off.

<b>Rub</b> off? - Your stupidity <b>falls</b> off!

O....<b>K</b>, I think that's about enough!;)
BewareOfDog

Next

Return to Legal