talk about an over reaction

Discuss spud cannon legalities.

Postby Ian2accurate » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:08 pm

That does sound like an over reaction. Those laws for England aren't that strict. You are <i>allowed</i> to be in possetion of a air rifle from 14-17 years old. Went I went to the store and asked the man how much it costs for copper bbs (which I would have used for a science project, not shooting from a bb gun), and his reply and connotation made me feel like I shouldn't even look at that isle in Wal-mart (I was under 21 at the time).
Ian2accurate

Postby BewareOfDog » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:56 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Ian2accurate
[br]That does sound like an over reaction. Those laws for England aren't that strict. You are <i>allowed</i> to be in possetion of a air rifle from 14-17 years old.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So you say, but care to provide us with a link showing that they've changed these laws?

I quote:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
If you are aged between 14 - 17 years you may use an air rifle on private premises without supervision with the consent of the occupier - normally the owner or tenant. However, if you allow a pellet to go outside of the premises whilst you are shooting <b>then you commit a criminal offence</b>.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
BewareOfDog

Postby lewist » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:30 am

That was not an over-reaction.

The neighbours may have heard a loud gun like bang, and saw the kid walking arround with what looks like a small cannon, of course they are going to call the police!

Peoples view of firearms and even BB guns is very different in the UK compaired to the US.
lewist

Postby markfh11q » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:16 am

It all depends. If he was in a suburban area, he shouldn't have been waving around a spudgun, unless he was going to put it in the car to take a drive to the country, or something else. The story doesn't say anything about this.

Another thing: the story didn't say what type of "spudgun" the kid had. I have seen a million little kids' toys that are "spudguns" that can only chuck a little potato slug about 50 feet, with a little *pop*.

And on a last note: it doesn't matter where you live, if your neighbors see you carrying around a weapon, or something that looks like a weapon, they are going to get nervous. Our neighbors almost freaked out when they say me carrying out my PL953. It's a target pellet gun, and it looks a lot like a .308 or something like that. I had to calmly explain it was just for marksmanship practice, as we had a postal meet the next day... and I live in HickTown, USA!!!
markfh11q

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Farg_Me » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:20 am

Heh, that town is where I bought a few of the supplies for my current cannon...

It's fairly dense, so it's no surprise that people were suspicious. I'm holding off fully firing things from mine until I can find a decent sized bit of land to safely try it out in.
Farg_Me

Postby DriftingRz » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:33 am

didnt the story say they saw him walking with the BB GUN, but when they busted him he also had a potato cannon in his POSSESSION
DriftingRz

Postby Farg_Me » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:41 am

Yeah, I think you are right there.

Does anyone have any info on what the consequences were for the lad?
Farg_Me

Postby DriftingRz » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:05 am

not quote me i havnet read the story since this thread first started but i belive thats what was said, if they heard the boom and they saw him walking down the street with what looked like a machine gun or rifle or something id probaly call the cops to
DriftingRz

Postby timchilders » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:45 am

It's amazing how different it is for you guys. I am 16 and Live in Alaska. I have personally walked through downtown Juneau (Our city) with a .300 winchester as well as a pistol grip 12 gauge on my way to my friends house where we were leaving on a hunting trip. People don't even care here.
The only people who freak out about carrying guns are the tourists. That may make sense, however, as "If it's tourist season, why can;t we shoot em?" bumper stickers are common here.
timchilders

Postby Fez_uk » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:57 am

I dont think they over reacted, Spudguns are actually illegal in the UK.
What he did wrong was to use/carry one in a built up area, I live in the country side in a small village with alot of farmers who own shotguns and also let their 16 year old kids use them also. I carry my spudgun on the road but the chamber would be in a bag and the barrel only looks like a piece of pipe.

In the UK lots of people are very paranoid about guns and stuff especially in england but in the Hills of wales/scotland I think the situation is alot different due to less people = Less police so neighbours are alot leaniant, when they hear a bang they dont go "OMG SOMEONES GOT A GUN CALL THE POLICE".

Although I do not fire actually In my village incase someone does call the police, I fire In open fields.
Fez_uk

PreviousNext

Return to Legal