The purpose of this topic....

Discuss spud cannon legalities.

Postby gyroman79 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:07 pm

Nebulousmosquito makes an excellent point. I'm not positive that potato guns are legal where I live. I'm pretty sure they are, but I've never checked. Frankly, I don't really care. I live and shoot out in the middle of nowhere. I'm careful when I shoot, and if I do happen to injure/kill myself, it's my own damn fault.

The ATF's definition of potato guns only includes plastic, aerosol fueled combustions (and only when shooting potatoes). I'm sure most of us here have guns that don't always (or never) fit that definition. I've got plans in my head for guns that would probably have the ATF hanging from lines from helicopters, breaking through my windows, dragging me away, and locking me up forever if I got caught building or using them.

I guess my point is, be careful, and use common sense, and it shouldn't ever even become an issue.
gyroman79

Postby SteveS » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:29 am

Combustion launchers might be illegal in some places or all places for that matter. Pneumatic launchers are probably not illegal. Think about it. If pneumatic launchers were illegal then all tennis ball machines that are used on a tennis court to launch a tennis ball over a net would be illegal. All the t-shirt launchers that you see at professional sports venues and concerts, which the shooter is technically pointing at a human being whether it be direct fire or indirect fire, would also be illegal. I have not had the opportunity to try this theory out on the local authorities here, but it makes sense. Remember, if you use common sense, good judgment, and take safety measures, then it will be easier to explain to the authorities what you are doing. If you are a teenager then find adult supervision. The authorities are more likely to reason with an adult than with anyone under the age of say 20 or 21.
SteveS

Postby Bartman007 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:03 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by SteveS
[br]Combustion launchers might be illegal in some places or all places for that matter. Pneumatic launchers are probably not illegal.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Actually in most city limits, both pneumatic and combustion launchers are illegal. For example, I live in the San Fransisco Bay Area and <u>every</u> city within a 30 mile radius of me has a clause similar to the following in their municipal code:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Sec. 37.7. FIREARMS AND WEAPONS-DISCHARGE PROHIBITED:
No person shall, within the City, discharge or fire or cause to be discharged or fired any firearm, cannon, anvil, gun, pistol, revolver or explosive of similar nature, rifle, shotgun, air rifle, <u>air gun</u>, BB gun, pellet gun, blow gun, slingshot, rubber sling, bow, cross bow, or other instrument, device or apparatus by means of which bullets, missiles or propellants of <u>any kind or description are hurled or projected any distance</u><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Many cities nation-wide have such clauses, so it's not just a local pneomenon.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by SteveS
Think about it. If pneumatic launchers were illegal then all tennis ball machines that are used on a tennis court to launch a tennis ball over a net would be illegal.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Actually no, many tennis ball serving machines use two spinning disks to launch the balls.

All the t-shirt launchers that you see at professional sports venues and concerts, which the shooter is technically pointing at a human being whether it be direct fire or indirect fire, would also be illegal.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I know a guy who works at a radio station which uses one of Joel's TSL2500's at events and concerts, and they have to get a permit for each and every event at which the launcher is used.

I have not had the opportunity to try this theory out on the local authorities here, but it makes sense. Remember, if you use common sense, good judgment, and take safety measures, then it will be easier to explain to the authorities what you are doing. If you are a teenager then find adult supervision. The authorities are more likely to reason with an adult than with anyone under the age of say 20 or 21.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Or you could forego all risk and do what Joel says to do at the top of this page, "contact the local athorities." You cannot get in any trouble for asking them and that way you will have a concrete answer.

Peace,
-Bartman007
Bartman007

Previous

Return to Legal