Moved>> Are spudguns legal in Canada?

Discuss spud cannon legalities.

Postby howdy doodle » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:10 pm

spelling correct french, and sometime english.
howdy doodle

Postby augdog » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:07 am

Hello!
I live in Vancouver BC, but my life is in N.Delta.
Here is a story for you guys to chew on...

(I am sorry if this draws on, but I would like to tell the story in its entirety)

At the age of 16, I had found out about 'Vegatable Accellerators' thru the use of the new and facinating thing called the 'Internet' and giddy as a school girl to build one, went to my local hardware store and bought ABS (I know) piping and some glue. My friend gave me an old Piezo BBQ igniter. Having no knowledge about anything safety-oriented, I built a cannon. Kids can do silly things. I wanted to see what would happen if I loaded the gun with gravel and fired it at a house that was unnoccupied and being built. I found a 3' x 6' window above the door and fired. (Glass shattering, Me booking it to the local park). A concerned citizen living down the block heard my boomstick (this was during the early evening, around 5-6 o'clock) and called the Police. I met a few friends who were also captivated by this facinating invention, and we decided to shoot the gun off a few more times. By now, it is dark out and the muzzle is emitting a giant flame. A police unit was dispatched to the area to investigate, as he drove past the park on his way to the house that I had shot at, he saw the flame, and pulled into the parking lot. Basically, I saw him, wasn't thinking and threw the cannon into the bushes approx. 10 feet from the edge of the lot. The officer saw me throw the gun into the bushes. He asked me if I had just thrown a potato gun into the bushes and if he looked there would he find one ? I don't know why I said 'No' and did not run. He found the cannon, I admitted that it was mine, and he arrested me and put me into the cruiser. Upon returning to the station, he called my parents and had them meet me at the station.

*** FIRST TIME YOUNG OFFENDER***

I was charged with Felony Possession of a Firearm with intent to injure.

I had to re-emburse the contrating company for the window
~$600 Canadian and recieved 20 hours of community service.

I feel extremely lucky today that I didn't injure anyone or worse, and was fortunate that I learned my lesson without going to jail.

This deals with a cannon that was used as a weapon. This does not address the issue of an officer finding the cannon in your car, for example. I can only speculate what would happen, there is a better than 50% chance that they will take the gun away.. I have always wondered if it wasn't a potato cannon that I got caught with but a .22 rifle would I be prosectuted the same ?
augdog

Postby pbmann123 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:50 am

its stupid [excrement] like that, if it wernt for stories like that none of us would be asking if they were legal or not... because they would not have been used as a weapon intended to hurt, or deface people and or their property, they would be regarded as a novelty launching dvice.... but some kids or even young adults have to go out and be a "g-unit" and shoot out a window and soiling our hobbies rep.
pbmann123

Postby augdog » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:43 pm

I agree! It is a shame that people feel compelled to do that.
It is tragic that a fun novelty device can also be used in that way.
It all boils down to being responsible. Trust me, I felt like such a dumbass being so irresponsible after the fact, and now at 23 would never EVER point a cannon if I were to build another one at a living creature or fire it in any area that is inhabited. The reason I posted that here was to give people an idea of what sort of punishment the government deems fitting for that kind of destructive use of a potato cannon.

*note my last paragraph*

Pbmann123 : I hope that you can find it in yourself to forgive me, and not hold a grudge against me for what I have done in the past. :evil:
augdog

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby augdog » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:51 pm

I agree! It is very sad that such a fun novelty device can be used in that fashion. I have not built another cannon since.

pbmann123 : I don't think that a system that propels objects at high velocity has to have incidents with people using it as a weapon to put its legality into question. Take the Railgun for example, never used as a weapon as far as I know, however it is just as dangerous, perhaps more so because of the extreme velocities that can be reached.

Although far more complex in design and man-portability is almost impossible, I think that the priniciple is similar ?
augdog

Postby TurboSuper » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:52 pm

I know that in Canada it is illegal to point any sort of weapon directly at a person, whether it be an airsoft pistol or a high powered assault rifle. Im not sure if that applies to spudguns though.
TurboSuper

Postby pbmann123 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:51 pm

well im not holding a grudge directaly against you or a grudge at all, its just the mentality of people like that, well i will be a g-unit and shoot out his window... (srry to use you in an example) a miscalcultion of power is not a valid excuse, it should not be pointed at any thing you would know point a hand gun or rifle at. and common sence would tell us that if i could throw a rock and hurt that person or throw some gravel and break that window the potato gun would probably be able to match that or excede it. if it could not it wouldnt be as much fun, less info about it and you probably wouldnt have one...

a rail gun is not regulated because if you were to build an instilation capible of housing a big enough one to fire and hit a target ant a reasonable distance 1km+ it would alert some people. for a portable one , when people get big enough to carry around a generator, hv transformer and several very large caps, a heavy sss, pneumatic prefire system and then the rail gun it self it will be regulated. or in the back of a truck it would be plainly visable, have a very low rof, and be difficult to aim manually. when terrorists or even oranized crime gets to this technoligical level we have much greater fears, emw's, lawrence gun's (much more cost effective technlogical ap weapon) but they dont tend to focus their advancement if any in one specific field they would also have bigger and better, or worse is it, bombs, toxins, and greater ambitions. if the have a big bomb costing 2k and a rail gun costing 7k + portability troubles it is just much easier to blow it up right. dead is dead there is not more dead...
pbmann123

Postby augdog » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:02 am

Hmm.. Interesting.
I will research this further.
augdog

Previous

Return to Legal