My Story

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby markfh11q » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:23 am

Ok, this is the first time I have really posted this story, besides mentioning it offhand in my first few posts here.

After hurricane Katrina, and after all the real work was done, (clearing the yard, getting the crap out of the freezers burried), me and my friend Geoff were getting bored out of our friggin minds. The power came back about three weeks after the fact, which in fact made things worse...

So, one day, he called me, (on landline, cell phones were still on the fritz), and told me about the paintball sniper rifle he made. He didn't have any paintballs though, so I grabbed a can of paint, a backpack, and started walking.

When I got there, he took me outside his clubhouse thing, (which you can see <a HREF="http://www.geocities.com/ros_operations/DSC00279.JPG">here</A>), and grabbed it off the ground.

The first one, (this one), I don't really remember very well, but I can try. The chamber was 1.5 x 12 and the barrel was 3/4 x 48. It had a tee handle, BBQ sparker, and best of all, it had a Powerline 3x9 variable scope mounted on a scope rail he tapped onto the chamber.

This was before I knew anything about spudguns and how to make them safely. So naturally, I was drooling at first... too bad it didn't work!!!!

He sprayed deodorant into the chamber, capped it off, and tried repeatedly for over 5 minutes to get it to shoot, but to no avail. I then left while he was still fuming over his failure.

So, it died until 3 months later. He gladly announced that he had, ehh, "improved" the design, and that it worked now. He then invited me on Friday night, (school was back up now), to go to his house and play around with it.

So, I went. This new one had a 3x18" chamber, a 3/4x48" barrel, a tee handle, and a BBQ sparker. The ratio high, but I believe it could have been a neat little gun... if it had been made safely.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, (still wasn't into spudguns yet), the gun was very dangerous. No primer was used in the construction, large diameter DWV components were used, and the electrodes were drilled through a single layer of PVC. They weren't even tapped through with screws. He drilled two hole, ran wires attached to brass contacts through, and sealed the holes with epoxy.

But, not knowing all this danger stuff, we laughingly started shooting junk. Paintballs were impressive at first, but soon we were disintegrating marbles, and launching CO<sub>2</sub> cartridges at cinder blocks. Many "spudding" rules were broken. Me and him both held the endcap against our shoulder when firing. He even broke the most important rule, pointing the gun at ME a number of times.

So, I went home in even more envy than before. Sure, no scope, but this was a cool thing at the time!

So, a few more months pass. Then, he invites me and Mcihael, (another friend of mine), over to do stuff. The "DPC", (the launcher), wasn't mentioned in the de$cription of what we'd be doing, but when we got there, he naturally broke the thing out.

We shot it once or twice, then got down to the serious business at hand, (paintball training).

Later, when it was all dark outside, we decided to shoot it once more before everybody had to leave. We grabbed a bag of Dum-Dum lollipops we picked up at Winn-Dixie, only to find out that they didn't fit anymore!!! In the months leading up to this, he had used dum-dums pretty often, and they were almost a perfect piston fit! But now, they didn't fit.

So, instead of doing the smart thing, which would be to suck down the lollipops until they fit, then rinse and dry them off, (or just find some other ammo), we just dug through the bag until we found one that would fit, (which ironically was the Mystery flavor kind).

So, he loads the lollipop, and sprays in the deodorant, as me and Michael kick a cardboard box onto the "range", (side of the clubhouse. You can see the leaves of the tree we used as a backstop in the image above...).

So, he then picks up the DPC, hold the cap about 3" from his right shoulder, aiming, and then clicks the sparker.

PPPPOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!!!!

It was a particularly violent action to occur, for such a "controlled" cannon. The back end, complete with the length of chamber going into the tee, was launched into his shoulder at who knows how fast. He instantly fell to the ground, dropping the cannon. The flaming cleanout adapter and cap added to the solemnity of the occasion.

It was bad, but not too bad. He had a deeply bruised shoulder, but nothing that couldn't heal.

Later that year, (towards Christmas), I got into spudgunning, and completely passed him up. He still trys to keep a little distinction by saying crap like "If it wasn't for me, you would have never got into spudguns.". But I know he's just jealous I passed him up.

Anyway, that's my story!
markfh11q

Postby Ihm » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:46 pm

what is the reason why the cannon did that. did the lollipop get jamed in the barrel?
Ihm

Postby spuzi14 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:09 pm

Ditto the above question and the link didn't work for me.
spuzi14

Postby markfh11q » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:20 am

Because it was a piece of crap!!! DWV fittings and improper solvent welding, (no primer).

And he must have deleted the picture off his site.
markfh11q

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby SMOMW » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:25 am

probably was a tight fitting projectile, the pressure built past the point that the fittings and unsecure solvent welding could hold and was breeched causing the aforementioned misshap.
SMOMW

Postby markfh11q » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:31 am

Yup. And he might have had DWV pipe for the barrel, (dunno), which has bumps and dips all over the inside of it that could "catch" the lollipop.
markfh11q

Return to Stories