Exploding Barrel

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby crashtestdummy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:38 pm

I'm sure a lot of you have seen my "propane tank pneumatic" in the "finished cannons" section (It's the one with a 100:1 chamber to barrel ratio [:p]). So anyways, I brought it over to my friend's house to show it off, and after a few shots of plain ol' potato slugs, my friend's dad brought out some paintballs. We put in the potato slug first, then poured in about 15 paintballs. After charging it up to about 125 psi, I aimed for a sheet of plywood. As I yanked open the ball valve, the barrel shattered in the middle and sent 3 large chunks of pipe flying off into oblivion and many smaller shards into the same general direction. But one of those shards happened to fly toward me apparently and it ripped off a piece of skin on my thumb knuckle. To say the least, it hurt A LOT, and no one really knew what had happened so they just saw me jumping around holding my thumb. In retrospect, I was lucky that no shards had got me in the eyes, and I decided that from now on, I'd use a piece of 18" x 3/4" steel pipe (the current barrel was sched. 40, 18" x 3/4" PVC) that I had in my shop. I suppose the reason the barrel shattered could just be because it was weak from all the other launchers I've used it on, or it could have something to do with the paintballs ricocheting in the barrel as they left, because there is orange paint covering the inside of my barrel. So... I decided to share that short story with you because it reminded me of that incident that was linked to a while ago, where a barrel shot off of a launcher when someone was firing skittles candy out of it.
crashtestdummy

Postby SpudStuff » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:47 pm

I had the same thing happen to my 3/4" barrel. I think the paintballs get stuck together and form a "plug" which causes the barrel to explode from the shock.
SpudStuff

Postby aetherguy881 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:00 pm

Isn't that great? You go to our friends house to have some "harmless" fun and then the fun breaks (or in this case; explodes).
aetherguy881

Postby TurboSuper » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:02 am

So pressure-rated pipe shattered eh? Interesting.

Good thing my barrel is copper.
TurboSuper

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Tater_Obliterator » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:39 pm

spudstuff is right, i know that my dads old paintball bazooka (back in the day of pump semi auto paintball guns) he ahd to put oatmeal in with the balls, otherwise they all squish together, and either from this nice plug that causes lots of stress, or explode into a nice paint flame thrower (which totally wrecks the barrel till you get all the crap out)
Tater_Obliterator

Return to Stories