Oh what bad luck

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby SpudBlaster15 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:44 am

A little background: I live on 4.5 acres of land, 2 of that being treed with tall pines. Directly adjacent to my property is a seldom navigated 2 lane highway.

Yesterday I was test firing my combustion cannon using a 3 second shot of butane as a fuel. When my dad walks out to witness my endeavors, I experience 2 misfires in a row (which I attribute to loss of pressure in the can and thus an inadequate quantity of fuel present in the chamber), both resulting in a "plunk" sound and the potato dropping 50ft away from me in the middle of the yard. My dad had never seen me fire a potato gun before, so he assumed that this is a spud gun's maximum firing potential. He asked me if he could try it, and I said sure. He loads a potato into the barrel, and proceeds to spray a 15 second shot of butane into the chamber before closing it off. When he pulled the trigger, a car just happened to be passing by our property on the highway. A massive boom resulted, and the spud flew out of sight, clearing all of the trees. My dad was so surprised, he nearly dropped the gun. It was only then that we heard the car advancing down the road, followed by the sound of a potato exploding on contact with a solid metal surface. "Holy shit I think I nailed that car" were the words uttered by my dad, and we promptly retired to the garage while we waited for the car to pass. Luckily, it only turned onto our street and drove past our house rather than turning up our driveway.:D

I guess I severely underestimated the stoichiometric ratio of butane and atmospheric air.[:0]
SpudBlaster15

Postby aturner » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 am

Nothing like causing damage and then hiding to avoid the consequences, eh?

Look, accidents happen, but I think you should stand up and take the heat in those situations. How would you like it if your car had a dent caused by a UFO?
aturner

Postby Mr.Plow » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:59 am

If someone shot my car with a spudgun, I'd friggin go ballistic.

not cool.
Mr.Plow

Postby SpudStuff » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:09 am

LOL why wern't you shooting into the woods? My dad nearly dropped my fit=rst propane combuistion when he shot it with no barrel.
SpudStuff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby SpudBlaster15 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:42 am

He didnt expect it to shoot so far so quickly as he had just witnessed 2 misfires, so he aimed it over the trees at a 45 degree angle in hopes of aquiring better distance. He sure did.
SpudBlaster15

Postby aetherguy881 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:06 pm

Wow that's crazy. The chances of unintentionally hitting the car is like trying to roll 3 of a kind with 3 of these dice:

http://www.seihin.com/archives/image/04 ... eddice.jpg
aetherguy881

Postby davidbowie » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:00 pm

15 seconds of butane?
davidbowie

Postby Barasackee » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:33 am

Excuse me for saying this, but that's funny! not the fact he hit the car, but that he was so suprised when he shot it. Of course, you could have stopped him when he was spraying 15 seconds of butane in, or pointing the gun at a 45 degree angle. In fact, it's probably more your fault than his becasue he only saw your two misfires, and so he underestemated the potential of a spudgun.s
Barasackee

Postby SpudBlaster15 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:48 am

I assumed that he was severely overfilling it and the mixture would be too rich to ignite. Guess I was wrong.:D
SpudBlaster15

Return to Stories