lost barrel?

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby Zorrowannabe9 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:38 pm

IT had been quite a while since being able to fire my <a href="http://localhost/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14073">Haughty Hand-Held Howitzer v2.0</a> As you may notice my barrel is held on with a <a href="http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/2819/1282858r1copyls8.gif">union adapter of some sort</a>. Anyhow, about 30 spuds into the day, and no cleaning around that joint, the rubber ring was getting a whee bit juicy. Never occured to me that I should clean it really, never had had a problem. ANyhow, the next shot was a very tight fitting spud (more so then normal due to its length.) I clicked my ignitor and about a second, maybe slightly less, I hear "whoosh" and feel my barrel ripped out of my hands, and smell that "oh so wonderful" scent of burning hair. Long story short the potato moved about 8 inches down my barrel, while the 5' barrel flew about 12' forward. Just so happened that this was the first shot my cousin and his new wife had ever seen from a spudgun. They were horrified at the MAPP gas fireball and me stumbling back in confusion.

I spent a few minutes gathering my senses, then grabbed an old damp rag and cleaned off my entire cannon (I started with the adapter, but just kept going) Shot beautifully after.

But uh, I must say that I shall never again NOT clean my adapter before firing my cannon...again. 8)
Zorrowannabe9

Postby SpudStuff » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:18 pm

Ha! think thoes are only rated to like 150 PSI. I wouldn't use it if I were you.
SpudStuff

Postby Zorrowannabe9 » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:50 am

True they are, Combustions dont create that much pressure though (100 peak, 40 useful if i remember correctly), anyhow if somethings gunna break, Id rather it be my barrel conector over my chamber.
Zorrowannabe9

Return to Stories