my spudding story

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby Arborman495 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:30 pm

I was over at my fiend's house.(Will) He had told me that he had a hairspray powered potato gun. I did not believe him to any extent whatsoever. When I got there, he showed it to me. It had black and yellow stripes (GT fan). Its barrel was 1.5" by 2' and the chamber was 3" by 2'. It had a single lantern sparker in the middle of the chamber. I was amazed thus far because I thought it was a total lie altogether.

He took me outside to his garage where we were going to load it. He lives on a very nice lot with a one acre pond in the back. This pond is roughly "T" shaped. The horizontal piece bordering his back yard and the other section going away about 100 yards. A decent shooting range. He took out three sweet potatoes and cut them up into three pieces each. He rammed one down the barrel and fliped the gun over and took off the cap. He put the hairspray in and screwed the cap on. he handed me the gun and I went out to the yard and got ready to fire (about a 20 degree angle). I flicked the sparker and I head a quiet (for a potato gun) whoosh. I then saw the potato hit the water and float about 25 yards away. I being totally new to this and already a trigger happy person was amazed. We fired off the remaining 8 shots and them he said that we had to stop because we were out of ammo. I looked at him and said,"You have no idea what we can do with this thing, do you?" I had an idea. I then commanded his to go get 4 paper towels and meet me in the yard. I went and got a hand full of very small pebbles and met will. He had a confused look on his face. I stacked two paper towels on top of each other, folded them 4 times and put the patch down tha barrel. I still use this patch method to this day. He hadnt seen the rocks and thought that I was stupid for shooting just a paper towel. He loaded it anyway, put the cap on, and flipped it over. I poured the rocks in and before he could say O, I shot. It was the loudes one so far, The rocks (maybe 12) rained down around where the first potato was floating. He than had an idea. We did the same thing as last time,but with an avacado seed. It was the longest shot of the day: we never saw it come down.

We also shot some other things that day. We used leaves as wadding and shot mounds of acorns. The funniest thin we did is when we tied a 25' length of fishung line from the precut spud to a little plastic, toy trumpet that we found on the street earlier. We shot it and the trumpet flew behind it and it was so funny.

After I left his house, I built one exactly like his but with a grill lighter thing. It could kepp a potato up for a good 6 seconds and get it to a good 150 yards (I never used hairspray). I used that for a couple of months before I found this forum. After looking around for a while, Mainly finding stuff on DR's posts, I built another one last week.

It is an under over, interchangeable barrels, 1 to 1.5 C:B, dual ignition, static guard (much better than right guard once was i am sure) monster (i think so). It is very loud (as I intended). I have only shot It three times (wadding only). I will be very exited to see what it can do with a golf ball.
Arborman495

Postby aetherguy881 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:24 pm

Not too bad of a story, great experience for a newbie. just to let you know 25 yards isn't too far, but it's farther than most of us could throw a potato.

For once a story that doesn't involve someone getting hurt!

Lets see some pics of those. Umm... put them in the finnished cannon section tho..
aetherguy881

Postby Arborman495 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:02 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by aetherguy881
[br]Not too bad of a story, great experience for a newbie. just to let you know 25 yards isn't too far, but it's farther than most of us could throw a potato.

For once a story that doesn't involve someone getting hurt!

Lets see some pics of those. Umm... put them in the finnished cannon section tho..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That was his potato gun that went 25 yards. Not mine. As for pics; look on advanced spuds plans to build. It's the spud buster

I just got back from the same person's house. I brought my new guns. The first one is his gun as mentioned before, exept it had a much longer barrel (1.5 C:B) and I brought some static guard (better than right guard by my experiance.

The second is my newest gun. Its an under over with interchangable barrels. Its chamber is 4"x 18 inches. It currently has two barrels (1.5 and 2 both are 1.5 C:B). It also has dual sparks. Not to bad for a person who got started two months ago.

By the way, it put a golf ball in the two inch barrel in the new gun and I never saw it again.
Arborman495

Return to Stories