i shot a hole in my parents wall?

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby pneumaticDEATH » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 am

I built a inline pneumatic cannon with a 15in. x 3in tank and 3ft. x 1in. barrel with a modded sprinkler valve. It's fantastic. However, i got a bit trigger happy(one of my biggest flaws) and dropped a 3/4in. rubber ball into the barrel and filled it to about 60 or 70 psi(i didnt think it would go anywhere because the ball did not seal inside the barrel) and was looking for something to shoot...

I was thinking of shooting the ball at an angle toward one of two parallel platforms... like pinball x 1000.

so i approached the wall at an angle, not wanting to do any damage to the wall, but that is EXACTLY what happened. I pulled the trigger and the ball punched a circular hole in the wall about 6 ft above my head.
Actualy, it only "dented" the wall because there is no actual hole... but its all the same to my parents....

If you have any experience with this matter, please respond. Any wall/hole filling, painting, caulking, ect.. experience at all... Let me know. Or has anyone been in a simular situation?
pneumaticDEATH

Postby GalFisk » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:05 am

What sort of wall, wodden, drywall or something else? Is it painted or wallpapered?
I have a hole in my wall (drywall w. wallpaper) from a spudgun-related experiment, but I've just taped over it since they're going to tear down the house soon anyway (I didn't know that back when it happened, I justs didn't want to pay for repairs until I had to).
GalFisk

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:36 am

I haven't shot holes in walls yet (knock on wood), but I have accidently put doorknobs through drywall... <a href="http://www.ehow.com/how_115295_repair-minor-drywall.html">spackle</a> to the rescue!
Mr.Plow

Postby markfh11q » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:31 pm

I put my knee through the wall when I was rolling to and from my window in an office chair sighting in an airgun. Kept having to roll back and forth to the desk to get a new pellet.:mrgreen:
markfh11q

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby utcpyro » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:47 pm

On drywall, skackele is king! My freshmen year of collage we got bored and decided to spice up our little airsoft wars (with getto mini-electrics) by making agrenade we coudl shot out of my cannons. This consisted of a pingpong ball filled 2/3 of the way full of .12g BB's, and weakend so it would bust open. Well, time comes to test it and I fire it across the apartment into my far roomate's room, blasting BB's every where (as planed). Not planed was the conrner of his closet developing a rather large hole in it. So, put spackel on, let it dry. Repeate untill hole is filled. Texture to look like the origional walls (using wet spackel and kitchen knife), and then hope not to get fined... We didnt, so all is good.

On outside stuff, well, give us a picture and we'll tell you what to go.
utcpyro

Postby pneumaticDEATH » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:42 pm

the wall is inside drywall, with no wallpaper...

spackle huh?

just spackle?

what about the discoloration and such...

any tips on how to simulate the texture?

i think its called orange peel or something...
pneumaticDEATH

Postby Freefall » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:06 pm

I've put plenty of holes in drywall. Reasons range from clumsiness while carrying large loads to loss of temper and everything in between.

First, tackle the hole.

If it's just a dent, you don't have to worry about a patch. Just hit the area with some coarse sandpaper to rough it up first. If it's heavily textured, sand it smooth (makes for better re-texturing later).

Once that's done, fill the dent with some high performance joint compound (it's thicker, has fewer air bubbles, and shrinks less than the contractor-grade stuff). Be sure to use a putty knife that's wider than the dent. The wider, the better.

Let the initial fill-in dry at least overnight. Sand it smooth, and re-fill any divot left due to
shrinkage. When that's dry, sand again. If you've done it right, you shouldn't need to re-fill again.

For the re-texturing, you can get a can of texture spray. Look for "Orange peel patch repair spray". This stuff usually comes with several nozzles to match the texture you're looking for.

As for color, you'll need to paint the wall. If you've saved the leftovers from your last repainting, you may be in luck. Otherwise, you'll just have to bite the bullet and buy a gallon of paint and go to work. Give the patched area a couple of preliminary coats before you roll the whole room. This will do two things:
1: it will seal the surface, so subsequent coats dry evenly
2: It will help to blend the newly-sprayed texture with the existing texture.

Advice: Don't go cheap on the paint. The good stuff may seem more expensive, but you'll need less of it for good coverage.
Freefall

Postby TurboSuper » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:56 pm

Bah, I blasted a hole in a cement wall by accerdent the other day.

At least it wasn't an aesthetically important one.
TurboSuper

Postby utcpyro » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:38 pm

Spackle the thing first, it will get rid of the "dent". After it's firly flat, put a thin layer on and try to simulat the texture using whatever you have around. Think of it like an art project or something. Paint, just look around your house to see if you parents kept any from when that room was last painted. if they did, just try to put thin layer on and blend it.
utcpyro

Postby spuzi14 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:26 pm

A hole in the wall 6 ft above your head?
spuzi14

Next

Return to Stories