SanJoseCalifornia

Discuss spud cannon legalities.

Postby ThePotatoFather » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:20 am

i have a 6 ft long potato gun [:p]:?.. i often shoot lemons around 400 ft. or so... i have shot it at school fields (risky) i just wanted 2 know how much trouble i can get in... one time i shot it and some woman saw me:x.. and i said i was doing a science exper.:D and she was like ohhhhh.. so i dont know if that would work with a cop.:?: anyone help me ? ive looked for laws in SanJose California and i have not had any luck.. please help thx...

simple-hairspray-food-lancher-man:):):(
ThePotatoFather

Postby ThePotatoFather » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:52 am

sorry guys dumb@$$ me didnt look at the "DONT POST ABOUT LAWS IN UR AREA" so all im asking is of any good ways 2 get out of getting in trouble with the cops. ? or how much trouble i can get in for shooting it on school fields.. sorry again. !

simple-hairspray-food-lancher-man
ThePotatoFather

Postby saladtossser » Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:44 am

a lot of trouble, my school doesn't allow us to bring our own scissors. so avoid the temptations orbe damn good at hiding it, and be ready to ditch it and run. it is winter right now, if it is snowy out, i suggest painting it white, and have a chain attachment so u can lock it up under a tree.
saladtossser

Postby ThePotatoFather » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:28 pm

hummmm kk but i live in sunny california lol... so maybe ill pain it green and just hope... lol.. or if i make it very partriotic then the "POPO" wont trip 2 much... MY friends always say COMEONP***Y ur such a whimp and im like comeon ur not the ones owning the gun...... mine is the simple one chamber gun used by hairspray and im really impressed with the distance i can get out of it... what kid do you have Salad ???? have 2 go now.. gonna go shoot it some... take it easy wish me luck haha PEACE

simple-hairspray-food-lancher-man **
ThePotatoFather

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby spuzi14 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:43 pm

Welcome to the forums. A word of advice is to use punctuation to the best of your ability. These arent toys and 400 feet is enough power to do some damage. A cop would have a field day with you if he saw you shoot that in a park and hit a building or pop machine and cause damage. Im not trying to discourage you either Im just trying to keep you out of big trouble. Once again welcome to the forums and keep it safe.[:p]
spuzi14

Postby Freefall » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:48 pm

Laws differ from place to place. Some will just give you a warning and tell you to be safe, some will confiscate your gun, and some will fine you. Some municipalities classify spudguns as firearms or destructive devices, which may or may not be illegal to own without a permit. If I understand correctly, California is not particularly gun-friendly.

Any way you look at it, though, it is unwise to use it anywhere that it might be possible to accidentally do damage to something or someone that you probably shouldn't do damage to. If your gun can easily shoot 400 feet, it's probably not too wise to shoot it in a field that's only 300 feet long. School grounds and public parks are especially bad places to shoot, unless you're close personal friends with the local law enforcement.

As Spuzi said, welcome to the forums and keep it safe.
Freefall

Postby davidbowie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:49 pm

the part that disappoints me about our country is that laws differ even more from cop to cop ;)
davidbowie

Postby aetherguy881 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 5:52 pm

I just tend to be nice to the cops, so if I do get in trouble they might go a little easy on me, so far noone's questioned my launching reasons.
aetherguy881

Postby ThePotatoFather » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:43 pm

k thx a lot guys.. lol i just made my first MINI-CANNON.. its pretty sweet.. i can get Q-tips up 2 about 50 ft. (on a good launch...) I used the standard :Marks-a-LOT: pen for a chamber and it works good...

Anyone have any good ideas of some other cool things to build or shoot . ?

( When i shoot it at schools i shoot it like nearly straight up... ) so it always lands in the field...

one last question.. how small do you think i can get the Pipe Parts for a small potato gun at ACE ? its a bit of a drive so i thought id ask here...... <<< sorry for random questions... im a bit of a rookie they will get better.... :)

simple-hairspray-food-lancher-man **
ThePotatoFather

Postby davidbowie » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:17 pm

Usually 1/2" is the smallest size you can get in PVC, but you can get PEX down to 1/4" or smaller. A 1/4" PEX barrel with a compression fitting tapped into a 1/2" endcap with a 1/2" chamber and cleanout should make a nice mini cannon. Sorry to get so far off topic.

Now, to contribute: Don't scatter like a cockroach when a cop shows up. Unless you're psychic and know when they will come, just play it cool and explain that it's harmless. It also helps to be shooting small, harmless-er projectiles, and have a smaller launcher. I have pretty much completely converted to minis (6mm dart/airsoft guns, paintball, 1/2") because they are easy to use and relatively hassle free.
davidbowie

Next

Return to Legal