Light Tent

Post stuff here pertaining to non-spud related projects that many forum members seem to enjoy. Hovercrafts, dirt bikes, electronics, propane-powered bikes, go-karts, etc. This is more of a project area,
not a place to chat about what you saw yesterday on TV. Remember to keep it within the forum rules!

Postby ShadowWalker » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:49 pm

Not sure if any of you are into Photography, but I am. Being 17 and not having the cash for all the nice expensive goodies I have resorted to improvising with everyday stuff. I have use a mag light, colored gels, a a mountain dew bottle and a sheet of plywood for a self portrait for instance.

Well I just ordered myself a macro lens and new tripod since i have been using my dads from when he was in high school and the thing is crooked even when the legs are fully extended. That left me with zero cash.

I would like a light tent for photography small objects and will be building one. I hope to save me self near $50+ for the size I plan to build using pvc, a bedsheet, some desklamps, and some heavy paper for my backdrops. basically what this does is gives you a nice even soft light.

I have also used flashlights to "paint" colors into my pictures. I will put some pixtures up with the cost when I'm done. It truly is amazing what a little creativity can do and how much it can save you.

Maybe I should start a thread in general with some of my work?
ShadowWalker

Postby plasticex009 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:31 am

It sounds like you have a good idea of how to make the light box. There are quite a few how-to guides on the net if you need any specific help. How big are you making it?

For my "studio" lighting needs I use basic hardware type lights such as clamp lights and halogen work lights. I use a piece of white plastic grocery bag taped to the clamp light reflector as a diffuser and it works well. Be careful with the high power halogen lights because they get extremely hot.

Paying for professional photography lighting equipment is not worth it unless you are a professional making decent money. I like the challenge of making my own equipment and the end result is probably not too far off from the higher priced items. There are tons of guides for making various photography related items on the internet if you look around.

<h5><i>Edit - spelling</i>
plasticex009

Postby ShadowWalker » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:35 am

Well Instead of glueing the frame together I was going to bolt it or use some other means of assembly so I can change its size. The site I saw the guy had both 12 and 14 inch tall legs. I think I am going to use a few desktop lamps from the thrift store or something for the lighting.
ShadowWalker

Postby plasticex009 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:08 am

You could probably just use a friction fit joint and save money on bolts. I have made a few light/background stands out of pvc and as long as they aren't heavily weighted, friction joints are strong enough. For heavier duty stands I reccomend using threaded steel pipe.
plasticex009

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby ShadowWalker » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:56 pm

Alright thanks. I will try it without first, and if it doesn't work I'll get some small bolts. Actually now that I think about it I should be able to find enough bolts around here, its one of the perks of your dad owning a home improvement business.
ShadowWalker

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Projects