My first (semi-serious) spudgun injury

Safety aspects of spud cannons.

Postby davidbowie » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:26 pm

I guess it had to happen sometime.:?

It wasn't an eyebrow loss.
It wasn't a grenading chamber.
It wasn't a blown-out cleanout.
I was cutting a pump handle.

Last night I was using a cutting wheel on my formerly trusty dremel to cut out a pump handle for my magazine-fed pump-action pneumatic (which will appear in a few days). It was all going great until the wheel decided to jump out of the cut I was making and slice across my thumb. I got a paper towel and wrapped it up because it was bleeding quite a bit. My dad got me down to the ER, and I took a look at it. It was pretty much all the way through the skin, and I could move the two sides around independently, and see some veins and stuff inside. I ended up getting some fairly evil-looking <a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploadFiles/stitches.jpg">stitches</a>
and I can't use my thumb for a little bit.

Lesson learned: Be careful!

No frogs were harmed in the slicing of this digit.
davidbowie

Postby SpudMonster » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:32 pm

Dremels are a bitch when they turn on you... I sliced through my cuticle into my fingernail using a paper sanding disc... That hurt like hell...

Sorry to hear about your injury. "Daddy! Tell us the story of how you chopped your finger up with the dremel!"
SpudMonster

Postby BillyBobJoe » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:39 pm

VEINS! HOLY SHIT! I would have passed out by then.[:p] That sucks but now you have a good story to tell;)

EDIT - did I miss something or did the censors just quit working?
BillyBobJoe

Postby SpudMonster » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:41 pm

d removed the filters for bitch and shit. [intercourse], [alternate gender preference], and [african-american] are still in place though.
SpudMonster

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby greeneyedboy5 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by SpudMonster
[br]d removed the filters for bitch and shit. [intercourse], [alternate gender preference], and [african-american] are still in place though.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

wtf is that supposed to mean?
greeneyedboy5

Postby draculon » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:46 pm

I remember when I took the skin off my knuckle with a sanding drum. I could actually see the bone, and it was nasty. Glad to hear that you're okay.
draculon

Postby flyingspuds2007 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:59 am

hehe, i cut to bone before with a dremel, only i was using the sanding drum to launch cd's at 30000RPM across the floor.
one kinda exploded and cut throught the nail on my left hand middle finger.
needles to say, i have yet to regain sensation in the fingertip, and it's a bit skinier than the other one.
Count on not feeling anything in the injured area, and also on having a comfortably "numb" sensation there for the rest of your life.
flyingspuds2007

Postby TurboSuper » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:06 am

Spinning CDs at 30,000 rpm isnt a very good idea either, they may shatter.

I never (not to jynx it) cut myself with my Dremel, cuz I use the super latest in safety technology...Gloves! (they wont stop it from hurting me, but it gives me a buffer before it slices into my skin)
TurboSuper

Postby orangekid13 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:27 pm

stitches are fun!

i've had 2 on my knee from an incident invloving the holder for a "safety flag" on a bike and the first day of the year warm enough to wear shorts (back in kindergarden)

i've also had 3 on my ass when i had a run-in with a horribly long splinter from the dock at a family cabin... had to be surgically removed

you can keep them when they take them out if you want, just ask
orangekid13

Postby benny » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:47 pm

i couldent keep mine they were dizolvobal
benny

Next

Return to Safety