Paintball gun starter pack

Post stuff here pertaining to non-spud related projects that many forum members seem to enjoy. Hovercrafts, dirt bikes, electronics, propane-powered bikes, go-karts, etc. This is more of a project area,
not a place to chat about what you saw yesterday on TV. Remember to keep it within the forum rules!

Postby Ian2accurate » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:19 am

In my little trip to Ireland, I got a chance to play paintball for the 1st time. It was a pretty nice place and I had a whole lot of fun. All the guns were Tipmann 98's, CO2 powered. They were decent, but the accuracy really wasn't that great when trying to pick off someone farther than 150' away. Because it was a single trigger, I could only get about 3-4bps without loosing alot of accuracy.

Now I realize I want to play maybe 2-4 times this summer. The only problem is the expense. It cost about 350 Euros for the 4 of us to play for about 3 hours. It was 10 Euros for every 100 ball pod after the first 200 balls.
I know I can get about 2000 balls for around $40, plus I wanted to get all the stuff so I don't have to rent anything.

I was wondering if you guys knew some good guns under $150, maybe some packs that include most of the equipment. I already have 2 47ci HPA tanks with a Scuba tank to fill them. I also have an air america reg if the gun needs one.
I wanted a gun:
-With about 8-10 BPS ROF(double trigger)
-Hopefully with a hopper (that can load acording to the ROF)
-Used if necessary
-Hopefully with mask, pod, ect.

I saw some guns on ebay, like Spyder Kingman, Diablo Mongoose, ect. I have no idea which ones are decent or not, so just fill me in...
Thanks.
Ian2accurate

Postby rsgpit » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:28 am

Since you have HPA, buy an Smart Parts Ion, and spend 50 bucks on a nice hopper, that will run you around $230, mask is optional, just turn your head when you get shot at! Seriously you'll love the ion, its really fast and you'll get more into paintball.

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INT ... ehnbl4R%2e

http://www.actionvillage.com/is-bin/INT ... D4NxSoYUEh
rsgpit

Postby BillyBobJoe » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:42 am

AN ION? To play 2-4 times a summer? Ok, sure . . .

Its a good thing you don't like the Tippmann 98 because everybody is going to tell you to get one. Whatever you do - DON'T. Who cares if they're reliable? They have reliability but not much performance.

I would go with a Spyder and eBay. Most of the other inexpensive guns are reffered to Spyder clones, because they are pretty much the same thing except usually worse quality. Not to brag or anything, but I know pretty much there is to know about Spyders and have done a lot to mine (I'd sell it to you but it has so many upgrades its a bit out of your price range and unecessary for how much you play). I'd be willing to bet if you want you could get a good package with an electronic trigger for under $100. I'll edit later today with some eBay links.
BillyBobJoe

Postby Ian2accurate » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:56 pm

The Ion sounds like its a bit much. I don't really need anything that special. The spyder looks like a bit much itself... it says 20bps, and I don't really plan on using that much paint. I guess it depends on the model though.
Ya, well said about the Tippmann 98.
Edit:
Yes, I was looking at a Spyder Pilot ACS E-gun.
Ian2accurate

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Drew Rowland » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:53 pm

My advice to you is before you start worrying about guns, look at masks. I would much rather get a really expensive mask and a cheap-ass gun than the other way around. A thermal lense is an absolute must. If you can find one with a quiet fan, thats a plus. You want lots of periferal vision, and triodial lenses are great. Seriously paintball is hell if you cant see anything. Dont make the mistake of skimping on your mask so you can get a nicer gun. You'll regret it.
Drew Rowland

Postby rsgpit » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:09 pm

Well If you can keep heads down with 17bps spraying everywhere, you dont need to see. Seriously get the ion, save a little more and get a good mask and the ion. There are 20$ thermal masks like mine. Vforce Thermal for 17.99
rsgpit

Postby Ian2accurate » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:30 pm

Ya, but I'm not spending $230. Its gonna be hard to get my parents to let me get something for like $100, and I don't even have $200 right now. I don't really need that if I'm only playing a few times.

I did have a really crappy mask at the place in Ireland. It was fogging like crazy and I just had to leave one time.
Ian2accurate

Postby sharpshooter » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:34 pm

What the heck do you need to shoot that fast for? Who cares how fast you can shoot. If you cant aim it doesnt matter. I have a completely stock 98 custom, I know lots of people hate em, but thats your opinion. The people I usually play with have full auto spyders and A-5s and all sorts of really fancy guns. But guess whos team always wins? Mine. One shot, one kill. All you really need is somthing accurate (which the tippy really isnt). Thats just my $.02 worth.
sharpshooter

Postby Ian2accurate » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:05 pm

Lol, ya, but I would like the option to fire fast if I need to. I didn't really like the 98 custom... Its not really that cheap either so I would rather have a good rate of fire.
Ian2accurate

Postby BillyBobJoe » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:05 pm

<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyder-Sonix-Package-with-Extras_W0QQitemZ280004848105QQihZ018QQcategoryZ47253QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">Spyder 1</A>

<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/Spyder-TL-Plus-Painball-gun-marker-extras-In-box_W0QQitemZ290004787880QQihZ019QQcategoryZ47246QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">Spyder 2</A>

<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/NO-RESERVE-MINT-SPYDER-XTRA-PAINBALL-GUN-AND-EXTRAS_W0QQitemZ300006135032QQihZ020QQcategoryZ47246QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">Spyder 3</A>

All of those come with tanks but you can sell them to your friends or keep one on standby.
BillyBobJoe

Next

Return to Non-Spudgun Related Projects