airsoft artillery

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby Arborman495 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:04 pm

Has anyone ever thought about using these things as artillery pieces in large airsoft outings? (of course you have)
Im new and dont know how of what ammo to use to get maximum effect. I have used big bags of slingshot ammo fired up into the air and watched it rain down on the enemy position. It is only marginally effective.
Have any Ideas?

Donat your Ideas And save a Newbie.:(
Arborman495

Postby Arborman495 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:28 pm

On the second line, I meant to say,"How or what ammo">
on the last line, I meant "Donate".
Arborman495

Postby spuzi14 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:41 pm

You can use this little button with a pencil and notepad thing on it to edit things.

As for you question, I don't really deal in airsoft but I just thought I would share that info with you.
spuzi14

Postby utcpyro » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:25 pm

Discussion of directaly shooting any one is strictly prohibited here, so be careful what you say or ask for if you dont want the admins mad. You can discuss the topic of an airsoft mortar (or something of the likes), but actually shooting any one is a no no. Also, slingshot ammo is rather, um, heavy, and would be a VERY bad idea. Not to mention I dont think any fields would allow any scatter shot that's not approved airsoft BB's....

What is accepted for use in airsoft and paintball is small nurf footballs as ammo, and any one within a certain radius of where it falls is considered dead. It's also the only method most field insurance company's are OK with.
utcpyro

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Mr.Plow » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:14 am

With the exception of the idea UTC proposed (nerf footballs with an honor-bound kill radius), direct fire artillery isn't really a viable option for airsoft.

I use my BBMG stuff regularly in games with great success (the gun seen <a href="http://localhost/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14249">here</a> or <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3koopxhk7M">here</a>) but the mortars I've made were not effective enough to be worth it. Artillery, while a fun idea, hasn't proven to be of any worth. It sucks, and I wish there was a safe way to do it, but every idea I've come up with has been either too unsafe or too expensive to justify it.
Mr.Plow

Postby utcpyro » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:18 pm

That's exactally what I was telling you to avoid saying....

Now, where is DR when you need him?
utcpyro

Postby Freefall » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:38 pm

What <i>you</i> consider to be legal airsoft is irrelevant. That the other players have consented to being shot is irrelevant.

We understand that there are people who would use their homemade guns safely in an airsoft situation (ie Mr.Plow with his strafers), but since this forum is full of people who may not be so mature or safety-minded, we allow such discussion only rarely, and only from people who have well-established reputations here.

Indirect fire (shooting upwards and letting the ammo rain down) is fine, but please don't discuss the use of homemade guns in a direct-fire mode.
Freefall

Postby Arborman495 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:11 pm

Im very sorry.:o

Who is Dr?
Arborman495

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:02 pm

I think it's important to point out that with my guns I spent many hours and days deliberating whether or not they were field safe and ensuring they would not be dangerous, and even then I had to get them evaluated by the field owner. Under no circumstances can you bring a home made gun to a field and expect to use it without having the owner approve it. I don't want anyone to get the idea that there is anything inherently safe about a gun because it fires airsoft BBs. They can still be very dangerous. On the airsoft field I never use direct fire cannons, I don't engage targets closer than 15 feet with the BBMG, and I don't use more than 120 psi with the BBMG as well.

DR is the second highest poster here (behind PCGUY) and one of the most active members. He also invented the hybrid.
Mr.Plow

Postby Arborman495 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:49 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Mr.Plow
[br]I think it's important to point out that with my guns I spent many hours and days deliberating whether or not they were field safe and ensuring they would not be dangerous, and even then I had to get them evaluated by the field owner. Under no circumstances can you bring a home made gun to a field and expect to use it without having the owner approve it. I don't want anyone to get the idea that there is anything inherently safe about a gun because it fires airsoft BBs. They can still be very dangerous. On the airsoft field I never use direct fire cannons, I don't engage targets closer than 15 feet with the BBMG, and I don't use more than 120 psi with the BBMG as well.

DR is the second highest poster here (behind PCGUY) and one of the most active members. He also invented the hybrid.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
He seriously invented the hybrid?
Good grief he must be very smart
Arborman495

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner