how can i make my bbmg portable

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby fidgety » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:46 am

i am having a heck of a time figuring out how to make a portable airsoft gun. I need it to be very light weight and i can't go around with a scuba tank strapped to my back or something like that. what i really need is a super small air compressor. This is really driving me crazy so please post soon.
fidgety

Postby Freefall » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:38 pm

Define portable. Do you want:

A: Something you can carry around as a self-contained unit with no cords
B: Something that doesn't require a full-size shop compressor, but may still be tethered to a smaller compressor or tank

You've already stated that you can't go around with a scuba tank strapped to your back. How about a tank sitting on the ground? (Or does the whole thing need to be untethered?) Super-small compressors simply can't handle the volume that a BBMG requires. That's the Achilles' heel of BBMGs. They use lots of air.

What's wrong with carrying around a small tank? Mr.Plow has done just that with his strafers, apparently without much difficulty.
Freefall

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:24 pm

A 5lb CO2 tank weighs about 20ish pounds (the 5lb refers to the CO2 mass it holds), which is really not difficult to carry with a good backpack. I initially made my own using PVC tubing and some shoulder straps from a local army surplus store, but after about an hour it hurt terribly to carry. I now use <a href="http://www.nashvilleairsoft.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=848&category_id=89&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=37">this backpack</a>, which is perfect for several reasons. First off, it has a great load distribution setup with very comfortable shoulder and waist straps. It also has four straps inside the main compartment which are perfect for holding the CO2 tank in place. The inside is just large enough for holding an upright CO2 tank and regulator, and the ports on the top which were intended for use as CamelBak lines make for perfect air hose placement. I can quite virtually wear it all day without getting very tired, and I'm far from a jock.

As FreeFall said, an air compressor just isn't going to cut it. You'd be best off buying a ~$50 5lb CO2 tank, ~$50 regulator, and the $60 backpack. I know thats a lot for an initial investment, but it is worth every penny.
Mr.Plow

Postby SpudStuff » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:42 pm

Plow, How much does it cost you to <i>refill</i> the 5 Lb. tank?
SpudStuff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:56 pm

11 dollars.
Mr.Plow

Postby An Apple Pie » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:30 pm

Plow how long would you say the tank lasts(constant fire)? Also what PSI do they fill it to?
An Apple Pie

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:46 pm

Well, they fill it with 5lbs of CO2... so it's by default ~800psi [:p]

A 5lb CO2 tank will last a fairly long time. Over 20k rounds (closer to 30, really) if my observations have been correct. I don't know how much that will go down in the winter, but I suspect it will be significant.
Mr.Plow

Postby An Apple Pie » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:49 pm

Yeah it is amazing how much temp. can affect CO2. In the summer I can get about 6 clips from a 12g in my GBB Airsoft gun, and in the winter I can only get about 2. CrAzY[:p].
An Apple Pie

Postby fidgety » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:37 am

i want something i can carry around with no wires or other such attatchments. also i really need it {the gun} to be automatic
fidgety

Postby Mr.Plow » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by fidgety
[br]i want something i can carry around with no wires or other such attatchments. also i really need it {the gun} to be automatic
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
As in, you want the air source on the gun? Well, get a paintball CO2 regulator and a 20oz tank and strap it to the side of the gun. Expect to pay ~100 for the reg and another 20 for the tank.
Mr.Plow

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner