Choked flow?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about valves, ratios, compressors, and anything else relevant to launchers powered by compressed gas.

Postby LukeSkyRocket » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:13 pm

D_Hall,

Could you explain what it means when the GGDT says that the barrel is choking the flow? And why does this only seem to happen on small diameter barrels? Sorry if this is a noobish question. Thanks.
LukeSkyRocket

Postby spuzi14 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:36 pm

I would guess it means you're making more gas than can escape from the barrel. I really don't know though.
spuzi14

Postby clide » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:51 pm

It means your valve has more flow then your barrel. It's a good thing if you are going for maximum performance, but it also means that your valve is bigger than it needs to be.
clide

Postby Velocity » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:57 pm

Its also good because often times, the valve will not allow for full flow, due to some minor problem or another. By using a barrel diameter smaller than the porting size, you make up for this error
Velocity

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby LukeSkyRocket » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:46 pm

Thanks Clide! I thought it might have had something to do with the barrel being too long. But I still wonder why I only get that result with tiny barrels. Maybe it's only with them that I just fudge the valve and make it too big.
LukeSkyRocket

Postby Robbie » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:10 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by spuzi14
[br]I would guess it means you're making more gas than can escape from the barrel.<b> I really don't know though.</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Posts like this really tend to annoy me. If you don't know, then you shouldn't answer.

Edit: Sorry for spamming your thread...
Robbie

Postby D_Hall » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:20 pm

Didn't see this thread until now, but since I was expressly asked the question I'll respond. Suffice to say that when Clide said this...

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by clide
It means your valve has more flow then your barrel. It's a good thing if you are going for maximum performance, but it also means that your valve is bigger than it needs to be.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

...he nailed it.
D_Hall

Postby LukeSkyRocket » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks D_Hall, I guess I shouldn't have expressly asked for your opinion, as that was a rather noobish question anyway. And thanks for sharing GGDT with us!
LukeSkyRocket

Return to Pneumatic Launchers