ignition!

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby spudproof » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:44 pm

hello! i have see a bit many questions about: what is the best ignition for a newbe? if you know what i mean! so cant you just post ignition ways on this topic?

( delete this if its stupid:x )
spudproof

Postby FLONE » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:37 pm

From the start I've used the BBQ igniter. Of the 6 or 7 I've bought only one has been unreliable. So far I've only used dual sparks. If I do my part on the amount of fuel, it goes bang every time.
FLONE

Postby Mr.Plow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:09 pm

the absolute most newbie-friendly ignition system is a $3 flint-type lantern ignitor. They're super easy to install, and they produce a shower of sparks which will ignite many poor mixes that a piezo would not.
Mr.Plow

Postby TurboSuper » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:37 pm

My favourite is an electric BBQ sparker. You get a big red button and a continuous spark.
TurboSuper

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby spudproof » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:59 am

some more?!
spudproof

Postby jasonsmithmyer » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:38 pm

turbosuper

where do you recommend to find these electric BBQ sparkers. I have seen them and know what you mean, but I have been unable to find them.

Thanks
jasonsmithmyer

Postby TurboSuper » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jasonsmithmyer
[br]turbosuper

where do you recommend to find these electric BBQ sparkers. I have seen them and know what you mean, but I have been unable to find them.

Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I found mine at the hardware store, right next to the Piezo variety.
TurboSuper

Postby Mr.Plow » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:59 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
where do you recommend to find these electric BBQ sparkers. I have seen them and know what you mean, but I have been unable to find them.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Finding them locally is iffy. I've seen them on occasion at Home Depots, but I wouldn't count on it. You can always go on eBay, of course. For example:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Outdoor-gas-grill-Electronic-Spark-Igniter-NEW_W0QQitemZ290053370687QQcmdZViewItem">Outdoor gas grill Electronic Spark Igniter </a>
Mr.Plow

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner