Evolution: The individual, education, and overal

Postby TurboSuper » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:27 pm

I'm still in the camp that believes that science and religion are the same story told two different ways.

God said "let there be light"

We say it was a "big-bang", which would have released copious amounts of light.

The following days of creation follow the chronological order of evolution,first plants, then fish in the water, then beasts on land, then we evolved to men from them.

Besides, there's much that science has yet to prove. People sometimes confuse "theory" with "fact", that just bothers me.

Ever think that mabye God is so smart he invented science and evolution? We're just discovering it's laws.
TurboSuper

Postby SPG » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:17 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Navigator7Before Jesus, God spoke through the prophets.
The birth of Jesus fulfilled God's law.
The New Testament is the "Book" that concerns us.

Those that confuse Old and New testaments to debate God's issues and heap contempt upon Jesus are the same type of people who install software without reading the instructions.

The bible is the best owners manual on the planet.
Individual milage may vary.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Indeed, I think we're on the same wavelength here. But notice how the charecter of God appears to change, from Genesis, through the Prophets, and then to Jesus. Did God change? or did Mankind's experience and understanding of God change?

Well God is immutable, so He didn't change, so that must mean through greater experience our understanding grew and changed. And thus it is with our understanding of Creation.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by TurboSuper
[br]Ever think that mabye God is so smart he invented science and evolution? We're just discovering it's laws.

My point entirely, God created the system, we're products of it.

So to go back to the first question, how do you teach this lot in school?

I reckon the best way it to present the information, in as clear and unbiased a wa as possible, also presenting the history of the development of these ideas, and let people make their own mind up.

For me, because I'm interested in it, I think the thing that's often lacking in both science and religious teaching is the history. We get the information, but not how that information came to us.
SPG

Postby Navigator7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by SPGSo to go back to the first question, how do you teach this lot in school?

I reckon the best way it to present the information, in as clear and unbiased a wa as possible, also presenting the history of the development of these ideas, and let people make their own mind up.

For me, because I'm interested in it, I think the thing that's often lacking in both science and religious teaching is the history. We get the information, but not how that information came to us.

No argument there.
Yet exactly the opposite is happening.

For example a quote form a recent e-mail:
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">SHALL WE HIRE A MONUMENT ENGRAVER TO GO TO ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY AND ADD THE MISSING WORDS?

A MESSAGE FROM AN APPALLED OBSERVER:

Today I went to visit the new World War II Memorial in Washington, DC! I got an unexpected history lesson Because I'm a baby boomer, I was one of the youngest in the crowd. Most were the age of my parents, Veterans of "the greatest war," with their families. It was a beautiful day, and people were smiling and happy to be there. Hundreds of us milled around the memorial, reading the inspiring words of Eisenhower and Truman that are engraved there.

On the Pacific side of the memorial, a group of us gathered to read the words President Roosevelt used to announce the attack on Pearl Harbor:

Yesterday, D ecember 7, 1941--a date which will live in infamy--the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked.

One elderly woman read the words aloud:

With confidence in our armed forces, with the abounding determination of our people, we will gain the inevitable triumph.

But as she read, she suddenly turned angry. "Wait a minute," she said, "they left out the end of the quote. They left out the most important part. Roosevelt ended the message with "so help us God.'"

Her husband said, "You are probably right. We're not supposed to say things like that now."

"I know I'm right," she insisted. "I remember the speech." The two looked dismayed, shook their heads sadly and walked away.

Listening to their conversation, I thought to myself,well, it has been over 50 years she's probably forgotten."

But she had not forgotten. She was right.

I went home and pulled out the book my book club is reading---"Flags of
Our Fathers" by James Bradley. It's all about the battle at Iwo Jima. I haven't gotten too far in the book. It's tough to read because it's a graphic de$cription of the WWII battles in the Pacific.

But right there it was on page 58. Roosevelt's speech to the nation ends
in "so help us God."

The people who edited out that part of the speech when they engraved it on the memorial could have fooled me. I was born after the war! But they couldn't fool the people who were there. Roosevelt's words are engraved on
their hearts.

Now I ask: "WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE WORDS OF HISTORY?????????"<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Navigator7

Postby spuzi14 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Ever think that mabye God is so smart he invented science and evolution? We're just discovering it's laws.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I believe he invented us seperatly than apes. I do beleive he invented physics and thermodynamics and all that. How would he make his creation tick if it didn't have something to go by?

In my opinion though, your theory will be unfortunatly rejected because it will be taken to an extreme and twisted ot somebody else's liking.
spuzi14

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Navigator7 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:13 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by spuzi14 I do beleive he invented physics and thermodynamics and all that.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Jesus was a carpenter.
I also wonder what words he used when mashed his finger with a hammer.
Or did he ever miss the nail?

(Actually...he was more a stone mason by our standards)
Navigator7

Postby spuzi14 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:06 pm

Heh...I never really thought about that.
spuzi14

Postby fullmetaljacket » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:33 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Jesus was a carpenter.
I also wonder what words he used when mashed his finger with a hammer.
Or did he ever miss the nail?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

"Jesus Christ!!!!"

"Did you call, dad?"

"No Jesus, I just mashed my finger with this hammer"

"oh."
fullmetaljacket

Previous

Return to Political Rants, Discussions & Debates