Anyone ever heard of one of these?

Talk about what ever......keep the political bantering in the "Politics" section.

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:45 pm

Order ammo on the internet, you'll save money and if you get new commercial (which it all will be, since milsurp for that rifle hasen't been made in forever) you'll have reloadable brass. If you want to start with brass, Chestnut Ridge Supply has some (http://www.chestnutridge.com/)

The old Krag is a hell of a rifle. You've got a treasure.

You'll want to check out Numrich Gunparts http://www.e-gunparts.com/ The Manufacturer is the US Military. Being a gunsmith I deal with Numrich a lot and they are a class act. If you need stuff, they'll hook you up. They don't list an 1895 but most of the parts from an 1896 will probably work with minor fitting.

Since its kinda beat up already, you won't be damaging a national treasure by refinishing it.

Forgot to mention, I can't really tell condition by the de$cription, but if you haven't fired it yet, you may want to have a gunsmith check headspace first. It's probably ok but its nice to be sure.
Madprofessor1775

Postby Molerat » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:44 pm

I haven't had it headspaced yet, but I've shot about 20 rounds through it, to make sure it still works, and I've thoroughly checked it for cracks, or any visible damage. So far, nothing is wrong with it. I thank you for the Numrich link. I've gone there and I'll see if they have anything I can fix it with. Thanks! By the way, the ammo DR shows is the exact kind that I use! Awesome stuff.
Molerat

Postby cdheller » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:46 pm

fwiw
original ,unsporterized,unmodified, krags are worth more.

alot were cut up.

the krags were known for a slick action. still hard to beat for that.
cdheller

Postby Madprofessor1775 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:02 pm

Most milsurps get bubba'd. Barrels cut down and stocks shaved so they can go hunt deer.
Madprofessor1775

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Molerat » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:04 pm

I'm planning on using mine with original barrel and stock to go deer huntin' next season. Can't wait!
Molerat

Postby Mr.Plow » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:39 am

Alright!
Went to a gun show, picked up a box-o-cartridges. I also happened to see a bunch of very sad looking, "sporterized" Krags... sigh [v]
Mr.Plow

Postby Molerat » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:29 am

Sporterized my ass. They are hacked to pieces, mutilating the historic rifle to take away accuracy, style, and the overall coolness of such an old gun.
Molerat

Previous

Return to General Discussion