8" Gun is in the making

Post questions and info about combustion (flammable vapor) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about fuels, ratios, ignition systems and anything else relevant to launchers powered by igniting things like hairspray or propane.

Postby Arborman495 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:16 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Zorrowannabe9
[br]footballs fit 6" pipe, not 8"..just FYI
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

And bb's fit .177 but I still shoot them out of a 1" barrel.

If you can fit it down the barrel, you can shoot it (in most cases)
Arborman495

Postby Legendpilot » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:11 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by noname
[br]Well, since I have that hunk of 8" PVC in my backyard, I need to do something with it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

This is going to be the chamber, not the barrel, (gulp)right?
Legendpilot

Postby spuzi14 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:41 pm

Gort, I'm not making fun of you...I would do the same thing.
spuzi14

Postby noname » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:44 pm

Both. Here's a couple pics.
The ignition system was scrapped, I might use it for a smaller gun with a back that unscrews (possibly even a hybrid!). It was a rocket motor igniter with steel wool between the alligator clips. The ignition worked, but there wouldn't be a way to unscrew the back, so a stungun for this monster.

<a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploadFiles/huge1.jpg">The pipe, with a volleyball and propane meter</a>
<a href="http://www.spudfiles.com/uploader/uploadFiles/huge2.jpg">The propane meter: 36" long 3/4" steel</a>
noname

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby spuzi14 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:12 pm

Is that pipe broke at the end?

EDIT:What are you putting on the back of this? As a cap?
spuzi14

Postby noname » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:40 pm

No, the pipe isn't broken, I just got out of control with the sawzall when I was cutting it.
The end will be plugged with either a bunch of sheet PVC, a bunch of wood, or as DR advised, thick MDF.
noname

Postby DK » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:31 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by noname
[br]No, the pipe isn't broken, I just got out of control with the sawzall when I was cutting it.
The end will be plugged with either a bunch of sheet PVC, a bunch of wood, or as DR advised, <b>thick MDF.</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Hi noname,

What thickness of MDF were you planning on using?
DK

Postby noname » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:32 pm

DR said 3/4" would be fine, but my friend is freaked out, so he'll probably force me to use at least an inch and a half of it.
noname

Postby fullmetaljacket » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:52 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">DR said 3/4" would be fine, but my friend is freaked out, so he'll probably force me to use at least an inch and a half of it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Surely your friend isn't too dim to realise that 3/4" MDF is much stronger than the PVC the pipe is made of...
fullmetaljacket

Postby spuzi14 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:52 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I just got out of control with the sawzall when I was cutting it.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Saws-all: A powered hack saw…see hack saw.

...and so...

Hacksaw: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle: It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

[:p]
EDIT:3 seconds SMOMW?
spuzi14

PreviousNext

Return to Combustion Launchers