Subliminal Advertising

Postby spuzi14 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:17 am

I think it's wrong and causes more problems than the users of it think.

It's almost a communist thing if you ask me. You're controlling somebody without them knowing. The only way to avoid it is to turn off the TV or ignore magazines. Nobody wants to do that though (except me, I don't care for TV and I don't read or look at magazines...I'll stick with spudguns thank you). It's pretty scary stuff really considering I could be doing things I wouldn't otherwise do.

But can it be used for good? If we can get people to by things by putting certain messages/images in an ad...can we get people to stop drinking or stop acting like idiots? I think the brain gets confused the first time it's subjected to subliminal advertising. Normally, by learned behaviour (depending on parents) a person would behave and act normal but add that with a truckload of subliminal messaging and you get a confused brain and a person that doesn't know what to do. This could cause problems but I really don't know since I haven't studied the brain.

What do you guys think?
spuzi14

Postby Navigator7 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:52 am

Any examples? It was outlawed even before I was a kid. But then....when done right....who's to know?
Navigator7

Postby fullmetaljacket » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:55 am

I think you're being a little paranoid, it's so easy to exploit humanity's insecurities and urges for profit that there's no need to resort to subversive techniques.
fullmetaljacket

Postby TurboSuper » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:20 am

I have an example: Fruit Loops

Tucan Sam is constantly referred to as "Uncle Sam".

Thats sly:twisted:

I don't watch much American TV so I don't know much else. From what I can tell from the Canadian stuff, its better to pray on peoples' ignorance than to do subliminal messaging.
TurboSuper

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby spuzi14 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:00 am

Examples...A lot of it appeared in magazines from the 70's and 80's. You can cleary see "stuff" in ice cubes and cigarette ads often have girls that are actually missing some clothes. You've probably heard about it in Disney movies and it's very true. I don't know if/think those are subliminal advertising, I'd say it's more somebody having a good laugh. Unless somebody here is a Disney animator, I guess we'll never know.

I wouldn't say I'm paranoid. But if you were possibly living in a secretly controlled society, wouldn't you be a bit worried? There's not much anybody can do about it because as Nav said <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">But then....when done right....who's to know?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

This stuff does appear in modern magazines. I've noticed it's hidden very well though. A lot of it appeals to the way people want to look.

Turbo, I laughed my ass off when I read that and what's better is that I never noticed.
spuzi14

Postby Navigator7 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:10 am

Turbo...That example is not subliminal.
Subliminal advertising first occurred at the movies.
Frames of film were replaced with parched desert scenes, thirsty people, hunger scenes...and then near intermission, they showed individual frames of refreshments, popcorn and candy......and fresh faced satisfied young women.

Sales at the counter went through the roof. It was phenomenal......and outlawed shortly thereafter.
Penalties were quite large as only the subconscious is capable of recognizing and...evidently processing the data.
Yet...inspectors looked at each frame of film. Supposedly the practice died.
(Who can believe that?)

Later in the 60's....Playboy magazine was heavily involved in subliminal advertising in .....ice of all things depicted in whiskey.
There were others of course...anybody remember the famous Playboy Christmas Wreath?

The ice in a glass was really art....and scenes depicting sex, group sex and various sexual parts of the female anatomy were depicted........but to the casual observer....it was a glass, ice and whiskey.

It would not surprise me a bit to find subliminal advertising on the net. Done right no one notices. We could be receiving subliminal messages right now!!!!
That sure would explain liberalism!
;-)
Navigator7

Postby Velocity » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:13 pm

Not sure if this is subliminal... but I find backtracked songs freaky. For example, if you listen to part of Stairway to Heaven backwards (from "if theres a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now" to "There's still time to change the road your on"), you can hear some message talking about satan and stuff... weird

There is a website listing a bunch of songs... but I'm on a slow laptop, so I can't find it right now...
Velocity

Postby spuzi14 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:07 pm

They claim the song Suicide Solution involved the use of a soundboard that slowed down a message telling you to kill yourself. I've listened to that song more times than I can count and I'm still here.

I don't think the record thing is subliminal. It might be there on purpose though, I'm not sure. I like the sound of the songs played forward anyway.

I'd say there's subliminal advertising on the net. Those ads that sit in the corner of the screen and flash real fast...YOU are not looking at them but your "other" mind is. That's just a guess though.

You could probably replicate the movie frame effect on the internet very easily.
spuzi14

Postby Mr.Plow » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:29 pm

I work in a lab that does experiments with subliminal apperception. It can alter your mood or interpretation of ambiguous stimuli (see Zajonc's "ideogram" experiment), but it can't "control you." Thats sci fi, guys. Also notice that it to work, the stimulus MUST be delivered below the level of perception, meaning it has to be in the milliseconds (clearly, not in a magazine ad). If it is not presented subliminally? No effect. Subliminally delivered messages/photographs cannot directly motivate behavior, although they can generate nonspecific emotional responses.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I'd say there's subliminal advertising on the net. Those ads that sit in the corner of the screen and flash real fast...YOU are not looking at them but your "other" mind is. That's just a guess though.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I'm 99 percent positive there is no subliminally delivered content in those ads... they're flashing because they want your conscious mind to see them. If they were designed to carry subliminal markers, then you wouldn't even see a flash.

Also: there is no credible psychological evidence (to my knowledge) which definitively suggests that "backward masking" can be "heard" by the mind. It's just apophenia, guys.
Mr.Plow

Postby TurboSuper » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:40 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Navigator7
[br]Turbo...That example is not subliminal.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

True, it still fits in that general "sneaky" category though [:p]
TurboSuper

Next

Return to Political Rants, Discussions & Debates