Crying Boy Scout

Talk about what ever......keep the political bantering in the "Politics" section.

Postby 102719 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:46 pm

Last week was the All City Wrestling Banquet in Madison. Anyhow they give out awards for the most pins, individual All City if you beat all the other city kids, team All City for the dual meet champions, and the George Martin Award. The George Martin award I guess is for the swellest kid on the team for each city team. These kids do community service and other nice things in the community. So the coaches or parents submit what the kid has done and it gets read in front of all the wrestlers and their folks. Finally this one kid has an entire page of all the boy scout stuff he has done it took like 10 minutes to read all this great stuff the kid has done. After we all left my dad who was a boy scout says to the boy scouts dad "Your kid shoulda wor his boy scout uniform." Then 5 minutes later the boy scouts dad comes back and says to my dad "Good job you made him cry." Me and my friends waited until he left and then started to laugh. My question to yall is should the boy scout kid have been so embarassed he cries. Is what my dad said that mean spirited.

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:49 pm

Some people are just more sensitive than others. The fact that he's a boy scout seems irrelevant.
Mr.Plow

Postby 102719 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:54 pm

But we are wrestlers and we are sposed to BAMF's the only time we get to cry is alone in a corner after we lose a big match.

Postby Mr.Plow » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:31 pm

hehehehe! In high school I was both a wrestler and an eagle scout. Good times!
Mr.Plow

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Navigator7 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:32 am

Your Dad was right.
I was a life scout.
Navigator7

Postby OJHSPyro89 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:33 pm

I never was a boyscout, I always figured hell, I can make things that shoot harder, and are a helluva lot cooler without having to wear patches.
OJHSPyro89

Postby spuzi14 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:36 pm

Oh well for the kid? I guess?

Your Dad was right, the kid should have had his uniform on. Somehow, it's respectful but I'm still to young to make the connection.
spuzi14

Postby 102719 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:57 pm

Thanks folks. Its' good to know I'm not so wacked out after all. To OJHSPyro89 thats what me and my dad and brother do. We don't need patches and crap. We go out camping and have lotsa fun having huge fires and shooting stuff and no one tells us what to do.

Postby BewareOfDog » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:17 pm

Bored out of my skull last night, there I was, surfing through the channels. - Came across the movie "Patton", which I've never seen before.

During one particular scene, Patton slaps a soldier on his helmet, telling him to stop crying. - Called him a coward, going on to explain that he had no right crying in front of soldiers who were actually wounded in combat.

Patton later loses his command of the 7th army, because of the incident.He is ordered by his superior, to make a full apology to everyone, including the soldier.

Should you have hugged the kid and told him that everything is OK? Or should you just slap the shit outta him, while yelling: <b>STOP your cryin, or I'll give you somethin' ta cry about!"</b>?

... What is this world coming to? :evil:
BewareOfDog

Postby D_Hall » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:52 pm

My immediate take....

...I could TOTALLY see this happening with my son. Not trying to put out a sob story but...

My son is autistic with a side helping of sensory integration disorder. At school he's a social reject. A basket case. A geek. A dweeb. Or whatever the term du jour is. You name it, I'm sure he's been called it. Cub Scouts (he's not yet old enough for Boy Scouts) is the *one* social activity that he can do without being ridiculed. Not that there's anything magical about scouts, the activities just have a high parent to kid ratio so kids who are prone to bullying are kept in pretty good check. However, just because he's a social outcast doesn't mean he's stupid. He knows he's a pariah.

Scouting is the one "normal" thing kids his age do that he can do. So if somebody came up and made a sarcastic comment like that? Yeah, he'd be crushed. Yeah, he'd cry.

And it would take every ounce of self control I've got not to beat the living hell out of some punks who laughed at him.
D_Hall

Next

Return to General Discussion