Cleaning up Clear PVC Pipe

Just starting to spud and wonder how long your barrel should be? Want to know how to build a better cannon? This is just the place! If you think your question is one of a newcomer, please post it in here. If your question is posted elsewhere, and it's a newcomer's type question, it will be moved in here.

Postby Velocity » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:31 pm

I have access to some clear PVC pipe, but the problem is, it has minor scratches and such from storage. If this were any other type of pipe, I would simply sand it down, add lacquer to it, and then give it a paintjob. But doing that with clear PVC would kind of be a waste, right?

Anyone have any suggestions? I thought about sanding it down with 220 grit, and then following that up with finer and finer sandpaper, but I am not sure if that will leave it with the true look of clarity that clean clear PVC pipe is known for.

Thanks
Velocity

Postby sgort87 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:26 pm

You'll never be able to fix that. Sanding it will just leave it cloudy and solvents will do the same. You are better off just leaving the scratches on it.

If they are dirty scratches, you can make them less noticeable by scraping them down with a metal scraper until you have gone below that surface.
sgort87

Postby aturner » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:37 pm

There are products designed to remove fine scratches from soft clear plastic. What comes to mind is cleaner for convertible top vinyl windows. I have tried them and they do an amazing job of removing the "haze" that rear convertible windows get over time due to fine surface scratches. These cleaners come in two types, with one for more intensive cleaning, and another for regular maintenance. Worth a look at your local auto parts store, in the section with car cleaning products.
aturner

Postby BewareOfDog » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:46 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by aturner
... Worth a look at your local auto parts store, in the section with car cleaning products.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Thanks aturner!- I would've suggested the same thing.

Here's one, if you Google "Headlight Restorer Polish": <a href="http://www.autogeek.net/dia-clear-plastic-restorer.html">Diamondite® Clear Plastic Restorer</a>
BewareOfDog

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Velocity » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:23 am

Thanks for the replies. I think the scratches might be a little too deep to fix using a plastic cleaner. I think I would rather pay the full price for new clear PVC pipe and have it perfectly clean.

I'll check it out though, and see if some of these suggestions might work. Thanks
Velocity

Postby randomvictim » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:20 pm

I have recently come across a liquid that is used for taking the scratches out of Lexan sheeting, no guarantee but it might work. If the scratches are small enough the toothpaste/rubbing alcohol trick used for scratched CDs might work.
randomvictim

Postby Velocity » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:24 pm

This is completely random to the forum topic, but I did not think that this question warranted a new topic...
Anyways...
1) If I wanted to regulate propane, do I need to use a propane regulator, or will any type work? Are there certain types which will work and certain types which will not work?
2) Does anyone have a good place where I can buy a propane regulator somewhat cheaply?

Thanks
Velocity

Postby BillyBobJoe » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:48 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Rmich732
[br]This is completely random to the forum topic, but I did not think that this question warranted a new topic...
Anyways...
1) If I wanted to regulate propane, do I need to use a propane regulator, or will any type work? Are there certain types which will work and certain types which will not work?
2) Does anyone have a good place where I can buy a propane regulator somewhat cheaply?

Thanks

Any type will work, obviously those designed for propane are preffered, but sometimes difficult to find. An air regulator from Lowes, Home Depot, etc. will work fine. DO NOT buy a flow regulator (http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/ws11.jpg), as it is just a valve with a gauge.
BillyBobJoe

Postby An Apple Pie » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:58 pm

Wow Rmich is building a combustion. This is amazing stuff here.
An Apple Pie

Postby Velocity » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:44 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by An Apple Pie
[br]Wow Rmich is building a combustion. This is amazing stuff here.

Haha I was waiting for someone to notice that... yeah, I am going to attempt a combustion... I'm actually considering just slopping the pipe with purple primer, putting the ignitor in the back cleanout cap, and using all ABS parts just for effect :D

Billybobjoe- Thanks for the response! Thats exactly what I needed to know
Velocity

Next

Return to Frequently Asked Questions aka The Newbie Corner