Very Funny, must read!!!!

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby spud lover » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:17 pm

Alright, I go to the plumbing store to get my pipe and fittings for my new PVC gun (old one was ABS) and meander around the pipe a little bit before I go to the counter. The clerk: what do you want? me: a 4" to 3" s by female bushing. Him: funny look
( I'm only 15 so I look a little out of place, even though my dad was there) more quizzical looks. me:and a 4" coupling. him: smile. my dad: You can probably guess already. him: spudgun!! me: yeah. him: I'm building a pneumatic with a 4' by 6" resivor yadda yadda. Hmmm, he was nice. Bad experience at OSH with an old guy, I was just asking about the price of pipe and he practically kicked me out of the store. (I didn't tell him) Never like to talk about them in public. Kinda funny how people can guess what your up to. Post some of your hardware store "encounters."

P.S. I call em potato cannons now, sounds a lot better than spud gun to most people, I think it's it the gun part.
spud lover

Postby corncob909 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:54 pm

yea i get people asking me what im doing all the time, then theres the people who guess and start up a conversation similar to what you had, yea... then there are also the beginers in there who i can tell are piecing together their first combustion.... funny- i also always get asked if i work there ("Exscuse me, but do you work here?" exscuse you, but am i wearing a blue or orange apron?) i help em anyway since i know more about the plumbing section then half those morons who work there. :D
corncob909

Postby TheFiend » Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:07 am

CornCob.... Be careful man I am one of those Orange Apron Carrying Morons. :)

but I don't work in plumbing.
But one day I was walking though the store and I asked a guy if he need help and he needed to get from one pipe size to another and I said we didn't have that but what is he doing we could work around that.

And he said a spud gun.... I was like AWESOME!

TheFiend
TheFiend

Postby Freefall » Thu Jul 31, 2003 2:56 pm

I had a similar experience. I was trying to find some parts, the clerk was being very helpful. When I told him I was building a spudgun, he said "I can't help you any more." and walked away. I found another clerk, who was more than enthusiastic about helping me get everything I needed, on the condition that I bring it back when I'm done and let him fire it.
Freefall

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby PCGUY » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:23 pm

lol. Now I know what the people do at Lowes when it's lunch time. I hate thoes people at stores. lol.
PCGUY
Site Admin

Postby orangekid13 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:18 pm

I'm positive that every hardware store employee who sees a teenager buying a [excrement]load of plumbing fittings, and large and small diameter pipes know exactly what we're up to
orangekid13

Postby boogieman » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:01 pm

Yep we do! I think its awesome when people tell me about their spudguns, but as a rule I cant give them advice. I have met a few people on lunch break and after work and helped them figure stuff out. Its pretty obvious when you see people buy certain fittings its a dead giveaway. The funniest is when these teenage girls were buying a funnel and hose, and an older lady asked them if they are making a beer bong!
boogieman

Postby spud lover » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:11 pm

Yeah BM, your right, when somebody asks for a 4" cleanout plug thats a dead giveaway. Also the bushings are a big hint.

P.S. Not trying to suck up but the True Value in my area is better than Lowes, Home Depot, OSH, and Ace.
spud lover

Postby orangekid13 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:54 pm

The best place around me, and aire (who hasn't joined the new forum yet, because he busted his collar bone in two places and got some nasty road rash due to a fall off his bike, so his gun is on hold, and he'll be on the injured list for two months, sadly) has been McLendon hardware. There's only about 5 of them, and you hear "soandso McLendon" getting paiged on the intercom. They have tons of everything. It's a superhardware store. They have electronics and everything. It's the only place around here that has +2" pipe. They carry 2.5" and sdr21. It's a great place. The people there actually aren't stupid. The closest one is a bit further than home depot, which is RIGHT across the street from lowes, and home depot and lowes are right by costco, so my mom is more willing to let me go there, since she's already right next to them.
orangekid13

Postby ryno » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:12 pm

me and andeh go up to do it best and we were getting grill igniotors and they asked what for and before we answered he said"spudguns" we said yea then another sales clerk said" i have 4 custom ones at home" we were in shock. then the guy by the ignitors said" i used to make them but they were duct taped tennis ball canisters, guess they have changed" now the people up there know we puy PVC and have no problem with it!
ryno

Next

Return to Stories