Home Depot (The sneeky man i thought is was)

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby audia4driver » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:32 am

So i have finally decided to make my first pneumatic cannon. During math class i was devising a "story" to tell one of the workers at home depot to help me find the parts. I arrived at the store ready to go. I find a worker and it goes like this:Worker(old fellow) can i help you.Me- Yes iam making an "air cannon" that uses compressed air for my ping pong table at which i will fire at the ball so i dont have to hit it. Worker- ummm, i dont know how to help you, but i know how to make spud guns.Me- thats not what iam looking for thanks.

I know all of you are thinking wtf man you were in the clear.Wrong early that week my freind got kicked out of the store bc he was trying to build one o well new stroy ----- plumbling lol
audia4driver

Postby boogieman » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:04 am

i would just ignore the workers. You can get plans and parts lists off the internet. You should be able to figure it out by yourself, just make sure you know about the right glues and such before building. You dont need any stories, If they ask you if you need help, simply say "no, i am fine, thanks." Then browse the plumbing section untill your heart is content ;).

That should work 99% of the time, if not you could always say it is for a hampster maze for science fair, or something like that.:twisted:
boogieman

Postby Bartman007 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:47 pm

what kind of hamster needs a 4" dia tunnel? [:p]

***Rant Warning***
Besides, for a propane-metered combustion you could always give the cover story of building a propane-injected pulse-jet engine for a combination AP Physics/Engineering project (that only works if you look like your in high-school)

Just say you don't need any help. If they try to kick you out because they think you are making a spudgun ask to speak to the manager and/or threaten an age discrimination lawsuit (if you are young.)

Unless you made known/given them a valid reason to kick you out of the store, (like say you are building a spudgun,) they cannot kick you out. (Unless they have posted, "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone," but they still need some kind of reason, otherwise you can complain discrimination.)
If you don't want to go through the legal hastle of a lawsuit just talk to the manager and say you are going to register a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau.)

Also, once you threaten any of these things they now have the right to kick you out and refuse to let you shop at that store ever again, so be careful of what you said.

Most of the time if you simply said that you don't need help you won't have any trouble. (Another option is to tell them that you are making a promotional t-shirt launcher but this only works with pneumatics.)

In short, do your research, know what you need to get before you go to the store.

Peace,
-Bartman007
Bartman007

Postby OJHSPyro89 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:56 pm

dont say anything really. just ask for the parts and if they ask what its for just start talking about how bad ur toilet is or something so hell get right back to gettin u ur parts! Best thing to do is just avoid them. When employees see a 14 year old kid (in my case) looking at plumbing they probably think im making something that has absolutely no point whatso ever
OJHSPyro89

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby MadPiper » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:12 pm

If I ever got stopped by one of them I would say oh sh*t I'm sorry this must not be a store or something, last I checked there was no age limit on poly vynal chloride ::Pull out large bills:: I guess I'm going to have to find a new home for these.
MadPiper

Postby Bartman007 » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:29 pm

ahahahaha, I like MadPiper's answer the best.
Bartman007

Postby PCGUY » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:11 pm

All of the people in the store just ignore me. Although, todsy at sears there was this nice old man that helped me out 6 times after 2 times of me going in there.
1.(Asked where bungie cords were)
2.(Asked why everything is marked down to like 50%-90% off)
3.(Asked to cut me screen and he gave me extra for nothing)
4.(Asked about the markdown on the Dimond Steel I bought)
5.(Helped my find the bolt for the machine screws I was gettin, they were on the other asil (sp?) for some reason)
6.(Wrote me off a price ticket for my screen and bolts because they have no bar codes on them bucause I bought them in custom #'s)
PCGUY
Site Admin

Postby BC Pneumatics » Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:53 pm

Just say you are building a “high grade pneumatic recreational utilityâ€Â
BC Pneumatics

Postby Rex_R » Thu Dec 11, 2003 2:30 am

bout all they ask me at my local 'ace' is 'finding everything ok?' that and 'do you have an ace card?' mind you I do have a few years on you, and I live in a farming comunity(dairy mostly) and farmers(and wanna bes) buy stuff for all sorts of odd reasons (saw one guy buying 10' of 1/2" cpvc to run a chimney brush down his chimney, I suggested 3/4" might work better). depending on the type of parts you're looking for you might be able to get away with saying that you're building furniture :)
Rex_R

Postby andyjim » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:09 pm

I must hve it really lucky, the guys at my local irrigation supply think spudding is sweet. The owner just said 'try not to blow yourself up cause then I'd feal bad' or something like that.
andyjim

Next

Return to Stories