Capacitors + Driving = Bad

Tell stories about your spud cannon adventures!

Postby InvisibleAndThenSome » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:09 pm

Ok so I was coming home with my bag of goodies, disposed of disposable cameras with flash, my mom is driving, and I'm dissasembling one of the cameras. I could have sworn I decharged the capacitor with a piece of metal from the camera, but I must have missed some. So when I put my finger down on the wrong part...ZAP! "JEEZ!!" My mom practically swerved into the other lane.
InvisibleAndThenSome

Postby Bartman007 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:23 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by InvisibleAndThenSome
[br]Ok so I was coming home with my bag of goodies, disposed of disposable cameras with flash, my mom is driving, and I'm dissasembling one of the cameras. I could have sworn I decharged the capacitor with a piece of metal from the camera, but I must have missed some. So when I put my finger down on the wrong part...ZAP! "JEEZ!!" My mom practically swerved into the other lane.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">ROFL!!!! Ok maybe not... I have found that the cheap $2 leather work gloves you can get at Home Depot and most other hardware stores work great at protecting me from the 300 volts inside a camera.

Peace,
-Bartman007
Bartman007

Postby Freefall » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:08 am

That reminds me of high school electronics class...we'd charge up a 500 volt capacitor (low farads, they were about .5" by .75") and toss them to some unsuspecting fool. ("hey jimmy-think fast"...Zap!) I don't think anyone ever got more than a couple little scorchmarks from the electrodes, but it was a hell of a shock. (yes, I was on the receiving end of a couple of these).
Freefall

Postby someguynamedchris » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:05 am

was it hooked up to a coil yet? If not hook it up to a coil then zap your self it it 10 worse

Chris
someguynamedchris

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby Bartman007 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:43 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="tahoma,verdana,arial" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Freefall
[br]That reminds me of high school electronics class...we'd charge up a 500 volt capacitor (low farads, they were about .5" by .75") and toss them to some unsuspecting fool. ("hey jimmy-think fast"...Zap!) I don't think anyone ever got more than a couple little scorchmarks from the electrodes, but it was a hell of a shock. (yes, I was on the receiving end of a couple of these).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Lol, I gotta try that on my 13-year-old little brother sometime...

Peace,
-Bartman007
Bartman007

Postby scc135 » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:02 pm

not capacitors, but i work as an engineer intern building digital electricity meters. i forgot i had a huge transformer (outputs 120V 220V 277V 347V each on different prongs. each prong is capible of a few amps) plugged in. i wanted to move it and since it's a tad heavy, i had to grab it with my whole hand on top. that send a nice big ol' shock through my hand. left some scorch marks also. boy, that hurt...
scc135

Postby Rex_R » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:24 am

I met a dj at a radio station my father worked at, he was woking the late shift. as part of his job was to take meter readings (transmiter output I think) from the shack at the base of the tower. idea was put on an album grab the clipboard and get the readings. well one night he forgot the clipboard...there he was paper in hand and 'nothing' to write on except this handy metal plate fairly close to the meter. he got almost done jotting down the readings and ZAPP got too close to the tower feed (5kw transmiter) put a hole in his finger and the bic pen never wrote again. afterward he was very careful about not touching things
Rex_R

Postby Aaron » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:01 am

If you work on old vehicles then you know there's a Cap in the ignition system somewhere. That joke of charge the cap up and do the "Hey Bob, catch!" has been around since the 60s when my friend's father was in auto class!

Also, when dissassembling a microwave take the cardboard signs seriously! A 5,200 Cap is not a happy experience! :x
Aaron

Postby Snitz User » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:57 am

i have a 100,000 volt stun gun, and i dont know why so many people says it hurts, cause it really doesnt. I dont know maybe ive just been shocked so much that im used to it or something, but ive just never noticed any pain.

Now PAIN came from when for a dare, my friend took a out the control center for his electric fence and turned it to max power. I grabbed both electrodes. I swear i jumped atleast 5 feet back and my heart skipped two beats
Snitz User

Postby Freefall » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:20 pm

you grabbed both electrodes? hopefully not with both hands, that's an easy way to get yourself killed.
Freefall

Next

Return to Stories