which type of valve?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about valves, ratios, compressors, and anything else relevant to launchers powered by compressed gas.

Postby watermelon » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:28 pm

i was just wondering which sort of piston valve is best and why.

a free flaoting piston like the one at this site:
http://www.geocities.com/spudguns_uk/50 ... on_gun.htm

or a supah type valve like the one here:
http://www.spudtech.com/forum/showpost. ... postid=219

if i made the barrel and chamber exactly the same size which would perform better?
watermelon

Postby mta » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:48 pm

There is no clear answer as to which is better. One is coaxial and the other is a right angle valve. The coaxial can open faster because the piston has a shorter travel distance and less air to dump. A typical right angle piston might have to travel 4 or 5 times farther than a coaxial piston to allow the same airflow.

In a coaxial, however, the air must make a 180 degree turn, as opposed to the 90 degree turn in the other design. So supah style valves probably have greater airflow.

Any piston valve is difficult to make. If I were going to use one I'd probably buy a Supah. At least I'd be assured the thing would work.

The valves I use are like the coaxial piston in your first link, but instead of a piston they have a thin diaphragm. It's easy to make (well.. with a little practice it's easy... the first one can be a pain), cheap, and performance is excellent (Cv = 21 for 1.5" , Cv = 43 for 2"). Here's a link:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/glenshind ... ternal.gif

The guy at spudzooka.net might even have a few 1.5" diaphragms left to sell.. buying one saves you the aggravation of making one.

Whatever you go with, use something better than a ball valve or blowgun to dump the air behind the piston/diaphragm.
mta

Postby watermelon » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:01 pm

i have already made a free floating piston. it was made out of a shampoo bottle filled with hotglue and wrpped in tape. it worked great. i dont see why everyone seems to make fancy pistons with O-rings.

air does have to turn 180 in the supah valve.

the only advantage i can see of the supah valve is that it allows you to have a much bigger chamber due to not have the barrel running through it. but id image its actuates slower and its harder to make.
watermelon

Postby corncob909 » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:26 pm

it is definitely harder to construct a supah-type-piston valve, yet it is believed to have a higher cv, correct me if im wrong, but i agree they are pretty equal and they both have there advantages and disagvantages, but for its ease of construction i would say thats one big advantage for the "free floating" piston valve
corncob909

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Launchers