co2 tank

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about valves, ratios, compressors, and anything else relevant to launchers powered by compressed gas.

Postby decepticon » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:13 am

OK... I have a few newbie questions about co2 tanks.
1. Where is the best place to get a *CHEAP* used one (10 or 20 lb)
2. Would a scuba or a beer co2 tank (the ones used for tapping kegs) work?

Any information regarding co2 tanks would be greatly appreciated. Like how do I figure out how many shots I would get??

thanks for putting up with a newbie:)

are there any chatrooms for spudguns out there? I would like to have instant feedback to questions. Just wondering if there was some other venue I was missing.
decepticon

Postby black_gunner » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:12 am

ask TimB,he is the master of co2 stuff!!!!

thanks[:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p][:p]
black_gunner

Postby Namor » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:56 am

there are no co2 scuba tanks....and unless you are a licensed diver, you can't get them filled...so you wouldnt be able to use it...

as for co2....im pretty sure you can use the beer co2 keg ones...and as for cheap used ones....check plumbing supply stores near you
Namor

Postby mta » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:03 am

TimB has a little How-to on CO2 setups: http://www.geocities.com/tbrown111083/c ... setup.html

He says you get 660 liters of 100 psi gas from a 20 pound tank. That's about right. My 10 lb. tank gives 110 shots at 100 psi in my 185 cu. in. gun, and about 50 shots in my 500 cu. in. gun.
mta

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby FoxxLord » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:17 am

There's a big price difference between a 10lb and a 20lb.
You can get a good 10lb tank for around $50-60 so double that for a 20lb. That's almost new though, a good used one would be cheaper if you can find someone selling them.
Ebay has some good deals.

-FoxxLord
FoxxLord

Postby mta » Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:48 am

I decided on a ten lb. tank due to its size. The 20 lb. tank just looked too big to be carrying around.

But the place I get it filled charges $12 for 10 lb. and only $16 for 20 lb. The 20 lb. tank is cheaper to use.
mta

Postby chewy » Thu Aug 21, 2003 11:57 pm

to lease a tank here in s.d. ,it is $40 a year or $100 for 10 years. $14 refill for 10lb $18 for 20lb. if you get a second hand tank, make sure you get a bill of sale. and they need to be hydro tested every 5 yrs if i remember right. this spuds fore you. btw you can get a disclaimer to get scuba tanks filled here at. .http://www.airhog.com/freebies.htm
chewy

Postby TimB » Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:16 am

i know a bit about this subject. yes you can use beer keg tanks, they are identical. there are a couple of places that you can find tanks, welding supply houses (which is were i got mine) restaurant supply stores, some paintball proshops, and the internet, ebay is a good place. i actually found my tank on ebay and it just so happened that the place that was selling it was about 5 miles from my house, coincidence or what. there is really no point in buying a new tank because 9 times out of ten the place you get it filled will just exchange your tank, rather than make you wait and take their time to fill yours. i have had several different tanks. i dont know about other places but i got my tank for $60, it was used, but recently hydro tested. and as a matter of fact, i only saw the tank i bought for about 5 minutes, because when i told them i wanted it filled they just exchanged it. as far as fill price goes, its usually about $1 a pound. the gas is cheaper but they charge you a gas tax and some other stuff, so it works out to about $1 pound. MTA was right, with a 20 pound tank you will get roughly 660 liters of 100 psi, so cut that in half for a 10 pound tank. this post along with my how-to should give you most of the information you need. if you have any other questions though, dont hesitate to ask. this is something we havent really dealt with on the new forum, but once we do, we shouldnt have to deal with it again :D
TimB
TimB

Postby decepticon » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:07 pm

ok another question this time about the regulator valve. where would be the best place to find one that is adjustable, and what is the best brands/styles. I plan on making a t-shirt launcher and would like to be able to shoot it at different distances, and thus would need different psi's <is that even a word?>

And do all <or should I say most> co2 tanks attach to the same size regulator?

I know I am full of questions but hey I figure I am asking questions that some one else may need answering too.8)
decepticon

Postby mta » Fri Aug 22, 2003 2:43 pm

The threads on all bulk CO2 tanks are the same. A CO2 regulator would fit a 5 lb. tank, a 50 lb. tank, or even a larger tank.

There is an adjustable regulator for sale from spudtech, but at $125 the price is kind of steep. I bought a 0-150 psi adjustable regulator at the local welding shop for $70. I also have a fixed regulator that I got from williams ballons for $40.

Somebody was selling used regulators for $20 or so on the old forum. Maybe you can dig up that post and see if he has any left.

Also.. I just checked eBay and there are a number of CO2 regulators for sale. Just be sure to get one that will go up to 120 or 150 psi. Many CO2 regulators used for beverage dispensing go up only to 60 psi.
mta

Return to Pneumatic Launchers