minipump xlt

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered launchers here. This includes discussion about valves, ratios, compressors, and anything else relevant to launchers powered by compressed gas.

Postby clide » Thu May 27, 2004 2:17 pm

Well after I made the minipump gun http://localhost/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3575 I showed it to my friends and they all enjoyed it, so I decided to make one for my brother and another for one of my friends. This is the finial product I ended up with.

http://members.cox.net/clide/minipump/x ... umpxlt.jpg
http://members.cox.net/clide/minipump/x ... tended.jpg
http://members.cox.net/clide/minipump/x ... orings.jpg

It is basically the same gun but with a few improvements over the last version. First I lengthened the grip between the pump and the gun and added a soft grip to make it more comfortable (the grip is from toy nunchucks). I also added a handle for the pump at the request of my brother.

I made the pump double o-ringed to make it easier to shoot. In the last version you had to move the pump quickly when you got to the end or you would lose all the air from the chamber and have a weak shot. The double o-ring corrects that problem.

At the end of the pump I added holes to allow the pump to get back to atmospheric pressure instead of having to remove the plunger like my last version. I also added some color bands so you know when the pump has reached the end.

The ammo of choice for this gun is tic tacs. They are cheap and work great. In fact, In the last picture you can see a small piece of a green tic tac that are probably all over my room from tic tacs shattering against the walls.

I also gave this gun a paintjob as you can see. Its not the greatest, but its my first time, hopefully I will get better.
clide

Postby chewy » Thu May 27, 2004 3:03 pm

Great job Clide. i think this is the only self powered launcher i have ever seen. that the power source was part of the gun itself. Again it shows it doesn't have to be big to be fun.:D great job.
chewy

Postby Longshot » Thu May 27, 2004 3:57 pm

well this gun and his other gun. Man i love that idea. It's so nice and clean. Any idea of pressure created? Ever think of using a check valve to pump multiple times?
Longshot

Postby clide » Thu May 27, 2004 7:03 pm

On the last one I did a rough calculation and got around 30 psi, and this one feels about the same. I'll try to do a calculation with water to measure the volume when I get the next one built.

I thought of using a check valve, but then it would be a completely different gun because you would have to add an exhaust valve, and the idea of this gun was to just use one simple movement to fire it. Maybe I will do one with a check valve sometime...
clide

Sponsored

Sponsor

Postby plasticex009 » Thu May 27, 2004 9:22 pm

Using a check valve and a smaller diameter pump cylinder would allow you to generate higher pressures, I'm sure you know this already though.;) That launcher elegantly integrates a pressurization method (thumbs up).
plasticex009

Postby Robbie » Thu May 27, 2004 11:24 pm

Nice gun. Any ideal how to model something like that in ggdt?
Robbie

Postby tim jones » Fri May 28, 2004 8:18 am

Very nice work. Inovative designs are not always presented here with refinements in execution that are evident in this launcher. It makes for an elegant package.
tim jones

Postby boogieman » Fri May 28, 2004 12:24 pm

Great job! I like the grip. The piston looks very well constructed.:)
boogieman

Postby clide » Sat May 29, 2004 7:45 pm

thanks for all the compliments. Unfortunately the plunger piston isn't as good as it looks. I have been having troubles with it. It works fine, but not as good as I would like it to, I have been working on remaking it.

My friend's girlfriend loved the gun too so I am going to have to make another... Who says girls don't like guns [:p]. They don't make pink Krylon Fusion do they?

Robbie: after finding out how much pressure is created and the chamber volume then I imagine it wouldn't be any different than any other piston gun in ggdt, but I have a chrony so I don't need to model it :D...unless I want to see the effect of different sized chambers, but I think I like about how fast it is shooting now.
clide

Postby IzzyDoesIt » Sun Jun 06, 2004 9:28 am

[quote]Originally posted by clide
[br]

... Who says girls don't like guns [:p]. They don't make pink Krylon Fusion do they?...

I know it was a rhetorical question, but in one word, YES!
IzzyDoesIt

Next

Return to Pneumatic Launchers