First Pneumatic Cannon

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
MrCrowley

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Well it looks like you'll have to lose all the fittings from your chamber port of the sprinkler valve to the elbow. That reducer looks like DWV too.

Personally, i'd cut the chamber down to 3'-2 1/2', that's probably still more than you need but it might help balance the gun out for you and if you're using a compressor it wont matter too much.

So cut the chamber down to 3 feet or so, get rid of the fittings between the sprinkler valve and chamber, so you'll need:

1" male threaded adapter
1"-2" bushing
2 x 2" female socketed elbows
A small piece of 2" pipe to join the elbows together

As you may notice I subsituted the 1" elbow for a 2" one, you'll get more flow that way.

Oh and it should make the barrel and chamber closer together if you make the elbows flush with each other.
RabidDuck
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:37 pm

hm okay. So you would get rid of all the fittings in between the chamber and valve? Then i would want to keep the barrel at the same length right? To let you guys know too my chamber is DWV but its rated at a high enough pressure is what the guys told me. Is that still ok? and can i use what i take off the 2 inch chamber for the 2 inch pipe to join the elbows or should it not be the stuff thats DWV from my chamber? Thanks
MrCrowley

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:42 pm

So you would get rid of all the fittings in between the chamber and valve?
Yes.
Then i would want to keep the barrel at the same length right?
Yup.
To let you guys know too my chamber is DWV but its rated at a high enough pressure is what the guys told me.
Sometimes PVC has both DWV and NFS-PW written on it, check to make sure if it has NSF-PW or a pressure rating such as 300PSI @73F.

If it doesn't have either NSF-PW or the pressure rating, don't use it. It wont be very safe.
and can i use what i take off the 2 inch chamber for the 2 inch pipe to join the elbows or should it not be the stuff thats DWV from my chamber?
Refer to the above, if your chamber turns out to be pressure rated, yes you can use the scrap from the chamber to join the elbows. If it turns out to be DWV, I wouldn't use it.

Hope that helps. :)
RabidDuck
Private 4
Private 4

Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:48 pm

Okay thank you i will put updates up tomorrow possibly if i get it done! Thanks for all the help!

p.s. my chamber is rated to 280 and has NSF-PW and DWV on it so its good stuff :D

edit: i went to home depot and found everything except a 2" to 1" bushing. I looked for a 2" to 1.5" but it was DWV. I asked the guy there and he said he had never seen 2" to 1" bushing that was pressure rated and told me that it shouldn't matter but i didn't listen to him. :D where else should i check?

Ok i finally found the parts after going to about 10+ hardware stores. I redid the back end. I am going up to my cabin this weekend and will get to fire some shots off up there. I will probably get some damage pics and maybe some video.