My First Spud Gun

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
sgort87
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Donating Members

Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:23 am

Don't worry 'bout it. Nothing against you. I'm just a sarcastic guy.

I'm still waiting on some weights and stuff SpudBlaster. I'm actually very curious about this.
joannaardway
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:26 am

Actually, that little inequality was incomplete:

Steel > Copper > Pressure rated PVC and ABS > Unrated crap.

However, in a toss-up between everything, I'd go for copper:

It cuts neatly, can be found at almost any DIY store, can be unjoined if needs be, hold back huge pressures, if it does fail it'll be safe (copper tears rather than shattering), it's excellent for low bores (because it's smooth internally, and doesn't cost too much up to about 28-35mm) and it's quick and easy.

Steel, although by far the tougher building material, needs threading and stuff, which adds complication.

I love copper. Although, for each cubic centimetre/cubic inch, it is the heaviest material.

Back to the real discussion:

You are rather more likely to find rated PVC than ABS.

If I had a choice of both PVC and ABS, and they were both rated, I'd have to think.
If one was rated, and the other wasn't - well, it doesn't take a genius...
When both the PVC and ABS was unrated, I'd go for ABS in a second - which is why my simple combustion is ABS.

As Gort has said, it is very interesting to absorb all of this extra information. It's important for good widespread wisdom - and eventually, it might get distilled down into a good balanced topic considering lots of materials.
Novacastrian: How about use whatever the heck you can get your hands on?
frankrede: Well then I guess it won't matter when you decide to drink bleach because your out of kool-aid.
...I'm sorry, but that made my year.
sgort87
Corporal 5
Corporal 5

Donating Members

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:21 pm

Just to add in another bit of info:

Just because it doesn't say cell core, it doesn't mean it isn't. For example, PVC fittings not marked with PW, are cellular core. Yes, standard sch40 PVC fittings.

You cannot see the bubbles in there; they are way too small. The same goes for ABS I have been recently told.

Unrelated note: I sent you a PM the other day, Jo. Feel like responding? :P
saladtossser
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:31 pm

7 mega pixel camera at minimal focus distance

it is not labeled cell core and doesnt seem to be cell core
"whoa... I thought pimpmann was black..."-pyromanic13