High-Power Copper Sniper Rifle

Show us your pneumatic spud gun! Discuss pneumatic (compressed gas) powered potato guns and related accessories. Valve types, actuation, pipe, materials, fittings, compressors, safety, gas choices, and more.
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue May 22, 2007 6:33 pm

I replaced the barrel supports with a piece of 1" PVC pipe secured with zip ties. It is much better than before, because it adds weight to make the gun more stable and keeps the barrel straighter. I am going to paint the PVC and eventually use hose clamps. I will also build a tripod for this, because it is a bit difficult to balance when firing it like a rifle (usually, I will just hold it at the middle and shoot, which is easy to balance but difficult to aim).

I have admitted defeat to the pink football... I tried shooting it many times with paintballs, and it even lasted 5 paintballs loaded at the same time at 105 PSI. I have a few videos, but they are not that impressive because the football didn't pop. I might post them a little later...

This gun obliterates water bottles and soda bottles. It split a water bottle into many small pieces at 100 PSI with three paintballs loaded in the barrel. Unfortunately, I didn't get a video of that because the camera battery died, but I will try to do it soon.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Tue May 22, 2007 10:48 pm

I tried shooting it many times with paintballs, and it even lasted 5 paintballs loaded at the same time at 105 PSI.
That's not going to help at all - with more weight for the same base area, all you're doing is reducing velocity which is one of the key elements of penetration. Try freezing a paintball perhaps?
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tue May 22, 2007 11:26 pm

Paintballs in refrigerator... bad movie showing my failure to pop the football (four times!) uploading now... might not be able to post it until tomorrow, because its taken a while to upload...

EDIT: <a href="http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l112/ ... 2.flv">Bad Video #2</a>

Don't worry; more bad videos are on the way :lol: !
mark.f
Sergeant Major 4
Sergeant Major 4
Eritrea

Donating Members

Wed May 23, 2007 7:40 am

I don't know for sure, (what's the temp of your freezer?), but I don't think the paintballs would freeze in there. I put paintballs in the frozen-food freezer where I work once, and they froze nicely. You might wanna try something like that. Just go find the guy who's stocking ice cream at the grocery store, and ask him. Can't hurt anything, just make sure to tell him you're not going to shoot them at anybody.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Wed May 23, 2007 7:49 am

rmich732 wrote:Don't worry; more bad videos are on the way :lol: !
If I could make a rather macabre suggestion, seeing as you have that lovely helmet:

Get yourself one of those polystyrene mannequin heads they use in shop displays, hollow out the inside and place a balloon filled with red paint inside. Load up some hard penetrating ammo et voila, headshot!

I've been wanting to do this for ages, but so far only did it on a smaller scale.
hectmarr wrote:You have to make many weapons, because this field is long and short life
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed May 23, 2007 3:51 pm

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:
rmich732 wrote:Don't worry; more bad videos are on the way :lol: !
If I could make a rather macabre suggestion, seeing as you have that lovely helmet:

Get yourself one of those polystyrene mannequin heads they use in shop displays, hollow out the inside and place a balloon filled with red paint inside. Load up some hard penetrating ammo et voila, headshot!

I've been wanting to do this for ages, but so far only did it on a smaller scale.
How about one of those life size, 3 foot tall barbie dolls :P . I know that my family used to own one (no, it wasn't mine :lol: )
ShowNoMercy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Wed May 23, 2007 5:06 pm

Hey you cant shoot things that look like humans! Thats bad and might offend my senses!
Jesus saves, no need to pray
The gates of pearl have turned to gold
It seems you've lost your way
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Thu May 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Ok, finally managed to pop that football. It was at 100 PSI with a paintball. I won't post the video, because it doesn't look cool (there is just a small hole on the seam), but I'll show a few damage pictures

<a href="http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l112/ ... ">Football Hole 1</a>
<a href="http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l112/ ... ">Football Hole 2</a>

I also shot at 2" SCH 40 with a paintball at 100 PSI... I really should have taken a picture of this (because it EXPLODED), but I didn't think it would break it... oh well
<a href="http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l112/ ... e.jpg">PVC damage</a>

I'm still working on a real video that actually shows this launcher working well and destroying things... but until that is done, I will just post more of these pictures and such.
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Thu May 24, 2007 6:01 pm

If you really want to PWN that football, might I suggest you make a "cookie cutter" style tubular projectile, like the PMC Ultramag*

*naturally you'd need to attach a lightweight wad to be base of the sharpened tube, to ensure a good seal in the barrel and stability in flight
Velocity
Sergeant
Sergeant

Sat May 26, 2007 10:25 am

How would that type of projectile benefit penetration? I would have thought that a sharp projectile would be able to pierce through the target better. For example, on my old paintball rifle (3/4" SCH 80 x 60" barrel, 2" x 18" chamber, 3/4" QEV, over-under), I was able to shoot a pen through my garage wall at 50 PSI... I think I might try that with this new one, just to spite that football (my parents are NOT gonna be happy when they have to fill in ANOTHER hole in the garage, right next to the first one :lol:... I'll probably do the shot in my backyard).
jackssmirkingrevenge
Five Star General
Five Star General

Donating Members

Sat May 26, 2007 10:36 am

Similar designs are used by law enforcement to reliably puncture car tyres - the idea here is you're not trying to make a pinhole in the target, rather literally punch out a calibre sized disc of the material.